Kokanee bumper boating - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kokanee bumper boating

Alright, here's a new topic. What would one need in order to catch kokanees while bumper boating?
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Kokanee bumper boating

Boat insurance!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Barrel
Alright, here's a new topic. What would one need in order to catch kokanees while bumper boating?
A frontal lobotomy. LTFS

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Seriously, what do I need to catch kokes? I am just looking for ideas on how to catch them. What do I need?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did a search for blue mesa kok, there were 11 pages returned...below is two pages worth from the july aug time frame...lots of stuff out there...

headed out to Cebolla and proceeded to liimt out on kokes before the monster waves developed. I fished 30-40' deep for most of my fish. Squids and dodgers tipped with gulp maggots.

Ok saturday morning i booked a trip with BLUE MESA FISHING
GUNNISON, COLORADO. We hit the water saturday at 5:30am. We went to Ciabola basin to fish.

We droped the down riggers to 40 fow. The baits of choice were 4.25" Nickel Pink Crushed Signature Dodger, 4.25" Mad Passion Glow Signature Dodger, 4.25" Sunrise Bahama Signature Dodger, 4.25" Nickel Silver Bahama Signature Dodger, and the lures were Crystal Rainbow Trout Assassin Spinner, Crystal Popsicle Assassin Spinner, Crystal Fire Tiger Assassin Spinner, Crystal Orange-N-Chart Assassin Spinner, UV Blue Hornet Spinner, UV Pink Hornet Spinner, Double Glow Pink Plankton Super Squid, UV Pearl Super Squid, all these baits are from Rocky Mountain Tackle Products. There was a 12 to 18 inch line between the dodger and spinner. Yah you can hire a guide. But a lot of people were trolling with lead line and getting them as well. Just not as fast as we were.

really hire a guide and fish RMT only way to catch fish! give me a break, allot of people do just fine without a guide and you sure as heck dont need rmt to catch kokes, arines, uncle joes, tazs, wedding rings, dick nites, needle fish have caught more than their share of kokes over the years .......

took a friend for a kokanee trip Friday. fishing is HOT early, I mean real early!! hit the water at 5:15 , had double out of the chute, hooked and lost allot of airel kokes. Lake Fork basin is loaded with kokes from right out of marina down to soap creek. We found fish from 25-55' feet, watch your sonar and adjust you lure to their depth. Hot bait was Rocky Mt Tackle cotton candy squid and caribean squids tipped with white shoe peg corn, behind a RMT dodger. Action got slow around 10:30 am but was good until then. check with marina desks they have a good pulse on what is currently hot. Ended up with 14 nice 3/4 year olds,lost at least that many again, smoker is warming up as I type..... . this is the most kokes I have seen in about 3 years, where have they been hiding
We had lots more hits that we couldn't keep on the hook. Adding a snubber helped increase the hookup ratio.

1. Do you have down riggers?
2. Shoeppeg corn is a must not white corn not yellow but the shoepeg stuff.
3. Use smaller ball trolls not the ford fender size that is old technology and honestly you will catch fish that way but not as much.
4. Small Dodgers like seps, vances, shasta tackle, rockmountain tackle, etc.
5. As for lures the bite could be all over the place. I would have spinners (like uncle larrys, assasins, etc) bugs, Hoochies, spoons and so on.
6. Lure set back i like to be 8-12 inches back from my dodger and abotu 12-18" with the small ball trolls.
7. sent sent sent sent sent sent sent did i mention sent. I use Pro-Cure. i soak the coarn in it over night and i use the gell on the dodger or ball troll. Have different sents the bit may change from kokanee to carp spit and you need to be able to change.

run at least 8lb on your main line and 6 on your leaders. a great website to check out is www.kokaneemart.com i use to fish with the owners of this and i know almost all the guys that own the tackle companies the sell. If you are serious about kokanee fishing that is a great placew to get tackle also www.kenscustomtackle.com has great stuff.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am with you Oscar, I think it sounds like fun...but I like to watch carnage...and occasionally be a part of it...the leaving the harbor scene during the catch the shark contest in Jaws is one of my favorite scenes in that movie...
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it werent so far I'd be there. Jig a silver/orange kasty tipped with a tiny piece of worm. Trust me it will work.
slayerfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYERFISH
If it werent so far I'd be there. Jig a silver/orange kasty tipped with a tiny piece of worm. Trust me it will work.
make that a 1 oz kasty!!!
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Spot lock sometimes acts all crazy , wouldn't it really bump into another boat at times? Just asking. Not my problem ill be fishing he will be controlling the boat lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
I did a search for blue mesa kok, there were 11 pages returned...below is two pages worth from the july aug time frame...lots of stuff out there...

headed out to Cebolla and proceeded to liimt out on kokes before the monster waves developed. I fished 30-40' deep for most of my fish. Squids and dodgers tipped with gulp maggots.

Ok saturday morning i booked a trip with BLUE MESA FISHING
GUNNISON, COLORADO. We hit the water saturday at 5:30am. We went to Ciabola basin to fish.

We droped the down riggers to 40 fow. The baits of choice were 4.25" Nickel Pink Crushed Signature Dodger, 4.25" Mad Passion Glow Signature Dodger, 4.25" Sunrise Bahama Signature Dodger, 4.25" Nickel Silver Bahama Signature Dodger, and the lures were Crystal Rainbow Trout Assassin Spinner, Crystal Popsicle Assassin Spinner, Crystal Fire Tiger Assassin Spinner, Crystal Orange-N-Chart Assassin Spinner, UV Blue Hornet Spinner, UV Pink Hornet Spinner, Double Glow Pink Plankton Super Squid, UV Pearl Super Squid, all these baits are from Rocky Mountain Tackle Products. There was a 12 to 18 inch line between the dodger and spinner. Yah you can hire a guide. But a lot of people were trolling with lead line and getting them as well. Just not as fast as we were.

really hire a guide and fish RMT only way to catch fish! give me a break, allot of people do just fine without a guide and you sure as heck dont need rmt to catch kokes, arines, uncle joes, tazs, wedding rings, dick nites, needle fish have caught more than their share of kokes over the years .......

took a friend for a kokanee trip Friday. fishing is HOT early, I mean real early!! hit the water at 5:15 , had double out of the chute, hooked and lost allot of airel kokes. Lake Fork basin is loaded with kokes from right out of marina down to soap creek. We found fish from 25-55' feet, watch your sonar and adjust you lure to their depth. Hot bait was Rocky Mt Tackle cotton candy squid and caribean squids tipped with white shoe peg corn, behind a RMT dodger. Action got slow around 10:30 am but was good until then. check with marina desks they have a good pulse on what is currently hot. Ended up with 14 nice 3/4 year olds,lost at least that many again, smoker is warming up as I type..... . this is the most kokes I have seen in about 3 years, where have they been hiding
We had lots more hits that we couldn't keep on the hook. Adding a snubber helped increase the hookup ratio.

1. Do you have down riggers?
2. Shoeppeg corn is a must not white corn not yellow but the shoepeg stuff.
3. Use smaller ball trolls not the ford fender size that is old technology and honestly you will catch fish that way but not as much.
4. Small Dodgers like seps, vances, shasta tackle, rockmountain tackle, etc.
5. As for lures the bite could be all over the place. I would have spinners (like uncle larrys, assasins, etc) bugs, Hoochies, spoons and so on.
6. Lure set back i like to be 8-12 inches back from my dodger and abotu 12-18" with the small ball trolls.
7. sent sent sent sent sent sent sent did i mention sent. I use Pro-Cure. i soak the coarn in it over night and i use the gell on the dodger or ball troll. Have different sents the bit may change from kokanee to carp spit and you need to be able to change.

run at least 8lb on your main line and 6 on your leaders. a great website to check out is www.kokaneemart.com i use to fish with the owners of this and i know almost all the guys that own the tackle companies the sell. If you are serious about kokanee fishing that is a great placew to get tackle also www.kenscustomtackle.com has great stuff.

Right on Z, my niece and her dad went to BM this weekend, I had her set up with big tubes, how to fish 'em get some sucker meat and catch a big laker.

She gets home home Sunday night and her rod has a silver and pink kasty with a white piece of shoeppeg on it. LOL.

She said they didnt catch anything. I asked her about the sucker meat way and she said they didnt get any. Dang. She said it was fun though.
jimt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in