Lakes lost to the drought tally - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lakes lost to the drought tally

OK, what is the running total? What lake is next? I got a vote for Jackson at work today...

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lakes lost to the drought tally

Bums me out. Never had any luck at barr, but I hate to see any lake bite the dust around here.
fishyheads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Jackson and Prewitt are next. Pretty soon the eastern plains lakes will be history. In the past already lost Upper and Lower Queens, Née Noshe, Née Gronde, Flagler, Bonny. Lost Jumbo once already now twice. Meredith and Adobe were on life support a few years back, recovered now on verge of dying. All the lakes growing up fishing will be gone.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ramah was toast from the very beginning...sucks to see it happening, I have not checked on my smaller eastern lakes like Karval and Hugo ponds and Kinney lake. I will ha e to make the round about trip to them. I heard karval had a total loss, too much vegitation going on there and its spring fed.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Some may remember a lake called Teller Res. Absolutely the best place in CO I have ever fished for bass-I mean it was hard to catch a fish under 15". Started shrinking and finally went dry a few years back.

And yah, Ramah never had the watershed to survive in all but the wettest years. Heard it used to have some great pike fishing but when I went out to check it out yrs ago it was a mud puddle.

Meredith is low (when has it ever been full?) but I talked to someone last week who said the ramp was still in the water so it can't be too bad. And I believe it has a conservation pool.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Naw...the ramp's way out of the water at Meredith and Meredith gets filled every year...just doesn't stay full most years....no conservation pool there..The feedlot across the highway from Henry has a conservation pool for Lake Henry...but right now, you can still stand up in the middle of the lake with your head out of the water....water's just below the bottom of the ramp.

Horse Creek/Timber is long gone...They stopped running water out of Brush Hollow for the year over a month ago...losses now are coming because of evaporation. I imagine Thurston is suffering ..if not gone..

One of the problems out east is how they do their water transfers now as opposed to how they were done in the past...Nee Noshee..Queens..Timber...will never come back. Shallow eastern plains lakes aren't conducive to water storage...way too much evaporation loss and they won't transfer water out that way anymore. And with so many farmers/ranchers having sold their water rights to the cities...not as much need for storage out there anymore..

Charlie Bennett used to tell me that it really hurt when he first started managing the southeastern lakes...He'd get them built up and fishing well..and then he'd lose everything because of drought...Said all you can do is rebuild the fisheries in the wet years...realizing you're going to lose them in the dry times...and then do it all over again..
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Current conditions for the boat ramp at John Martin..

Boat Ramps - 7/18/2012

The west boat ramp(the steep one) has closed for the season due to low water levels. Only the east, shallow sloping (5%) boat ramp is open. 4 wheel drive vehicles recommended for launching. Some larger vessels, especially if being towed by motor homes, RV's, or low profile vehicles, will have trouble launching.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone remember Two Buttes by Springfield? Used to be great fishing.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I miss Bonny.
yakatut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I knew there was at least one boat ramp still operating at Meredith because had a friend go there last week and launch.

I remember Two Buttes-did have some great fishing. I believe the small pond/stilling basin below the dam still has water but may be wrong.

Does anybody know if Turks pond still has water? Always wanted to go there-suppossedly had great bass fishing.

And when I was at Brush Hollow last week they were pumping water into it but I'm sure thats just for the drawdown that will be coming over the next couple of months.

Everybody misses Bonny-still can't believe CO and Kansas couldn't get together and save that lake.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in