should I consider a small boat? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default should I consider a small boat?

I am in the military and live in Aurora. My son turns 4 yrs old this month.
Yesterday (1Apr), I took my son fishing out at aurora res. and he appeared to have a great time. We had several bites and his first USA hooked fish was a 15inch Trout. Today, he told me that he wants to go fishing again.

I am wondering if I should consider getting a small boat that we can troll around the lake in. He now has a year of swimming lessons under his belt. Up to moving to Colorado, he normally spent many weekends at the beaches of Amalfi, Crete, and the like. We are all pretty confortable on/in the water.

If I get a small boat, should I consdier a hard structure or one that is air filled so we can collapse it when we are not using it. We have a small house and don't really have any storage space for a boat.

We don't know how to fly fish but I would like to take him to a river sometime. Are there any good rivers to fish? If so, what kind of gear should we have.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: should I consider a small boat?

If you like to fish and will get your use out of it I'd say get a small boat and a trolling motor and have at it. Will open up alot more fishing opportunities and it will be a great experience for your son-just being out on the water. Forget an air filled boat-get a "hard structure" one-way more confortable and way better resale when you trade up. Which you probably will.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with kirbydog on the boat. If you are planning to primarily fish Aurora, a 14' aluminum
with an electric motor would do the job. If you have access to a military base storage lot, you could store it there and remove the battery and motor to stow at your place.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to cowboyfisherman

By far, get a small hard-structured boat. You have a lot more opportunity getting to where the "big ones" are at, when on a boat.
Personally, I'm very glad your son likes fishing. It's great to see young kids get into things like fishing. A number of years ago, I use to teach kids (and some adults) how to rope for Team Roping in rodeo. It really gave me a great feeling to see the kids rope a dummy steer head, fast and accurate. In fact, some of the young kids done better than the adults.
"Take a kid fishing today and watch his face when he hooks into a big one"
Cody (cowboyfisherman)
cowboyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I wouldnt recommend a boat, yet. Here is the reason. You have a small child, and he needs to dictate how you fish. Childern have frequent pottie breaks, they need to get up and move alot, they mostly just like catching and reeling in fish. I would wait tell your son is a little older, unless you want to just get out and use it with you and your buddies. THen I would say go for it. For the smaller childern to make it more enjoyable keep to shore fishing.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

My 4 YO loves boat fishing. I would agree that you get an aluminum boat. A 4 YO is not going to sit still and walking in an inflatable would be interesting. You just have to allow that most trips are short and you may be pulling up onto the beach for playing in the sand and such at intervals. Go for the perch at Aurora and Quincy to keep them interested and not fearing for their life at the bigger lakes when the jetskis and skiers approach.

williep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with Williep99,
Kids love boats, I did, my kids did, and still do. Like willie said pull up on a beach everynow and then, expore... lots of fun stuff.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAL0362
I agree with Williep99,
Kids love boats, I did, my kids did, and still do.* Like willie said pull up on a beach everynow and then, expore... lots of fun stuff.
I agree, too. Get the boat. My 19 yr old daughter still talks about how much fun it was growing up in, on, and around our different boats!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to cowboyfisherman

I have to agree with ePic, but also have to agree with you other guys.
A boat "might be" just the thing, but if you are not getting any bites or catching anything for a period of time, a 4 YO might get pretty antsy.
I guess that are "pros and cons" to getting a boat when you have a small child.
Cody
cowboyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

When I was in the military in the 90's we could sign out campers and aluminum boats for a small fee on base. Have you checked into it?
Ivandog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in