Tackle - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tackle

For the most part I got skunked this weekend. Only two fish that were barely worth the time. 7 inch bows. I'm use to bass fishing and have tackle that work for them. I'm looking for some ideas that will work on trout, pike, wiper and some of the larger fish here. I watch people all around me this weekend pulling them in. No matter what I used no luck or hits.

I have rooster tails, powerbaits, some small spinners and some typical jigs. Most are in green, yellow, black and white.
I keep reading post that talk about tube jigs? What are they?
What else should I look at getting to go after some of the larger fish.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tackle

may be you should get some rattle traps, and rapalas.... they catch walleye pike trout and wiper, they cost a good price just to warn you... may be you should try using larger lures so the little punks wont get to them.... good luck
fishing303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Where do you fish? Certain lures/presentations work better for different areas. A good idea is to check out the fishing report section on this message board. Many folks list what they use and what they've caught.
wraithR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

So far I havent made it to far out from Colorado Springs. Brush hollow this weekend and only caught the two small bows. I'm trying to work my way to some of the bigger lakes in the mountains sometime this springs but I need to expand the lures and get things ready on a limited budget until the wife starts working.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

A tube jig is like a curtly tail jig except it is hollow and has little tentacles instead of a curly tail. I have them in sizes from 1 inch to 6 inches.
atownbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Try using spoons. For trout: Little Cleos, Thomas Bouyants, kastmasters, and Krocodiles work well. For Pike and wiper, larger Krocs and Daredevils work and like Fishing303 stated, you can't go wrong with rattletraps and rapalas.
gotmusky? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it wasnt for bills I think I would take this information and blow my whole pay check on them...Wife needs to start working soon.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
laker taker

Get some tube jigs and the lead jig heads to go inside them. They're cheap and effective for everything while your on a tight budget. If I had one color to get, I would go with a motor oil (light brown) or pumpkin seed (brown with dark specks). Alot of lakes in Colorado have crawdads in them and if they are present, the fish love to eat them. The brownish colors will resemble crawdads. I'm sure other people like other things and colors but that's what I would go get if $$ was tight and I wanted to catch fish.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

One thing I found that helped when I started fishing for trout (used to bass...like you) was this: for line, I use power pro (braid) with a 8lb mono leader for bass. This is pretty much what all of my rods are set up with so when I tried fishing for trout not only was I a little heavy in the line department but the 8lb mono leader was really visible underwater. While bass don't seem to care about this, trout do seem to care. My solution was to tie on a 3 ft section of 4x flourocarbon fly tippet (which is about 7 lb test) and....instant trout rig. The lighter, thinner flouro tippet disappears underwater and I've been able to slay the trout everywhere with this setup using spoons, small rapalas, spinners, or whatever. I hope this helps.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in