bass/ warmwater species stocking - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bass/ warmwater species stocking

I think I know the answer to this but does the DOW stock LM, SM, catfish, sunfish, walleye etc, etc. In the warm(er) water fisheries like they stock rainbows?

I kind of thought they did but have never heard anything. I wasn't sure if these populations are more self-sustaining and less pressured than trout populations (as far as people keeping caught fish).

Also...does the DOW stock browns in rivers or just rainbows? have never heard anything on this either. When I catch a brown is it likey a stocker or more likely wild?

farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: bass/ warmwater species stocking

As far as I know, the DOW doesn't really stock catchable-sized warmwater species like they do trout. Instead, they stock millons of fry that will take a couple years to reach catchable size.

Also, I think they typically stock a pond or lake heavily early on to establish a population, then pretty much let the population sustain itself, only occasionally doing supplemental stockings when the population of a species is sagging.
milehighbassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

from what i recall the dow has not stocked browns for some time.

as for the warm water stocking i think if you search this forum hard there was a thread that had some good info and as i recall most of the warm water fish are stocked as fry and fingerlings mostly walleye bass and cats if i recall there are some references on the dow web site to this but no break down on what goes where

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

The DOW still stocks warmwater species. They only stock ones of catchable size when they are transplanting fish from one area to another for whatever reason like emptying a res for construction etc... Everything else is either just fry or fingerlings and they stock usually between 40,000-70,000 at a time every few years, and by fewI mean 10 or so. Or they do this if there has been a huge fish kill. This is just what I have learned from observation over the years.
gotmusky? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think they stock 100 million walleye fry and fingerlings across colorado every year. After largemouth and smallies are established they usually allow them to replenish themselves. Wipers are stocked as fingerlings.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in