Minn Kota Maxxum Trolling Motors - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Minn Kota Maxxum Trolling Motors

I just bought a Minn Kota 40 Maxxum trolling motor for reason that Minn Kota advertises that the maxxum trolling motor can last up to 5 times longer on a single battery charge. I tested the trolling motor on my ponton boat at a Aurora a few days ago and to my surprise the motor lasted just the same as my previous motor (Endura 36).

I am thinking about either calling Minn Kota or sending it back but first I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem. Is there something I should be doing in order to get the motor to last longer?

Thanks,

Michael
michael in parker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Minn Kota Maxxum Trolling Motors

I have a minn kota 74 maximizer on my 17 ft Bass boat and can go 2 maybe 3 days on a charge it is 24 volts. i had a 38lb on there and it would only last half a day it was 12 volts and would not even hold it in the wind.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Baja,

Maybe it is my walmart battery. I bought the battery last November and only used it a few times. It was not recharged all winter. Perhaps, my battery is drained.

The last time I used my maxxum I got about 2 hours of constant trolling at 50% of full power thrust. Did you do anything to rig the battery differently. I know on the the Minn Kota instruction booklet says to use a "fused ground wire" if you using only one a battery (which I am) and other electronics. I am using a Eagle Cuda 168 fish finder. I cannot imagine the fish finder would drain the battery.

michael in parker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a maxxum 44lb and run 2 wallmart deepcycle marine bat. in series with an 18ft runabout (fiberglass). it will run a good 12hrs of trolling on new batteries and now batteries are going on their 4th yr I get about 7hrs out of them. one thing to look out for is if your trolling switch it to canstant power. the toe on off switch gets really hot if you troll for more than 5 minutes.
liquorbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Parker
Baja,

Maybe it is my walmart battery. I bought the battery last November and only used it a few times. It was not recharged all winter. Perhaps, my battery is drained.

The last time I used my maxxum I got about 2 hours of constant trolling at 50% of full power thrust. Did you do anything to rig the battery differently. I know on the the Minn Kota instruction booklet says to use a "fused ground wire" if you using only one a battery (which I am) and other electronics. I am using a Eagle Cuda 168 fish finder. I cannot imagine the fish finder would drain the battery.

You are right about the Cuda 168.* The draw on your battery is next to nothing.* They don't use very much power.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

There is something that you need to know about the "Maximizer" type of motor controller: While it is more efficent, the efficency varies depending on motor speed. At 100% power the Maximizer will be no more efficent than a generic motor. But at 50% power the Maximizer will be much more efficent. 5x more efficent, maybe.

It all is due to the way the speed is controlled in these motors. I could describe it at length (since I'm an electrical engineer), but I'll try to contain myself. Essentially, the cheaper motors use cheaper and less efficent ways to slow down the motor.
DavidK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have an Minn 74 on a Ranger bass boat. 24V with the
Walmart deep cycle batteries. I can go just about two full days if it's on 30% or lower in non windy conditions.
Unless you are tournament fishing, take your time getting to the next spot and keep the power setting below 50%.

hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

It could be your battery.I have a 3 bank minn kota charger thats all ways pluged in ready to go if you guys charge all the time watch the levels in your batterys. You don't want to cook them. I use napa deep cycles and have had them for 3 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in