jinxed spinner - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default jinxed spinner

A story:

This is a picture of a #6 panther martin spinner I found last fall at Lon Hagler reservior while fishing for rainbows. It was stuck on a log and I spotted it while wading the shore so I put it in my box, brought it home, cleaned it up and forgot about it until this spring.

Earlier this year I pulled the little spinner out on a hunch and ended up catching many fat, football shaped rainbows on it. I caught one the very first cast with it. It was my 'go-to' lure for rainbows all spring.

After catching many fat fish, the spinner was looking bad. the hackles were unraveling, the wire was bent, and the paint was chipping off. I decided one day that I'd retire it and buy a new one to replace it.

The spinner I bought looked exactly the same, but I noticed that it was made in China instead of Italy like panther martins had been forever. 'Oh well'* I thought, nothing I can do about that.

The other day I went after some rainbows since the bass action is a little slow. Of course, I had to try out my new spinner. Strangely I didn't catch any rainbows on it but managed to snag this (in my opinion) ugly mirror carp.

I didn't think much about it at the time. So today, I went out after some rainbows again. I let my wife try the spinner and after not having any luck with it, she wanted to try something else. I figured I could probably catch something on it. We hadn't had any action at all and as we were walking back to the car I cast the spinner out and BAM I had a huge fish on. I fought it for about 5 minutes and couldn't make any progress on it. suddenly...it was gone.

$*&%#! is what I said, but three casts later BAM! I had a nother huge fish on. I fought this one for at least 15 minutes. I made very slow progress and was often losing ground with the fish. I had visions of a state record rainbow or at least some nice slabs for the grill. I had my wife get the camera ready and she snapped this picture of me fighting the fish.

Well, I finally landed it and guess what...It was another carp! a big one...snagged in the dorsal fin. My guess is that it was 10-15lbs. Based on the way it fought, I'm positive the one I lost was another snagged carp.

Now, I'm not sure what I'm saying here, and I don't know if the Italians love trout all that much but I do know that the Asians love their carp and I think that my Chinese panter martin has been jinxed by it's nation of origin to only catch carp.

I'm not sure If I should buy a new one or bring the old one out of retirement. I do know that this spinner is jinxed.

farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to AZbassernco
Default Re: jinxed spinner

hey man just repaint the old one i had a bass spinner like that i repainted it had a freind tie on new hackle and straghtened the wire it works lol
Old 04-08-2006, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mustang

i wouldnt mind catching a irror carp, they are kinda cool looking...as carp go
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Come on Ted, bring old "lucky" out of retirement.LOL
Tipup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
.:FearNoFish:.

Panther Martins definately rock most of the time. I havent used that color, but I've tried about a hundred other ones. The one that i've had the absolute best on was a gold blade with red stripes and a black body with red dots. Kills em for me in the river and the lake. Just something to think on when you head back to the store
Old 04-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'd definitely bring the old one out of retirement, but I wouldn't do anything to it. I would be bad juju.

While we're on the subject of panther martin color, does it really make that much difference? I thought it was more the action of the spinner that does it rather than the color of the blade. I was gonna test this by painting the blade with a skunk pattern, then I decided not to in case it really is bad luck.
silicone boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

silicone boy: color makes a huge difference I have noticed. (although not so much for stocker rainbows).

Wild brown trout have an affinity to the orange blade and yellow body panther martin. #6. Wild Rainbows in the same river, rarely touch this spinner, but if you throw an all green blade, black body #6, you catch rainbows. This is the colorado river btw. Kinda wierd...I could never figure it out. On the yampa river, if I throw regular patterns like silver, gold, the brown trout special spinner ( the all orange blade one), I catch very few smallmouth, and some pike. When I throw holographic patterns on the other hand, I absolutely hammer the smallies and the pike. It's kinda wierd I guess..............I'm not a believer in color at all for the most part, or at least I thought, but I guess I am with panther martins. Anyone else found this to be true?

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok, ok...I have un-retired the old spinner.

On the color question...I don't think it matters that much unless the fish are keyed in on a certain food during a certan period....if they're going nuts for shad or crawdads then they'll probably be more likely to take a lure that color. If they're kind of neutral or just hungry, they're likely to hit any color. I think it's the presentation and action that are more important.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Following TroutFishingBear's comments, I've noticed that my black Panther Martings do much better in Colorado than the other patterns. Not sure what it is but that's all I've been buying lately.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

good post farmer ted, fun reading
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in