Spinney - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spinney

I am surprised there is no one reporting in yet?
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
EricCO

Default Re: Spinney

Must be a killer bite!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeh!! No kidding!! I'm going up tomorrow.. Not sure to bring the belly boat or not. I'll probably bring it anyway.

From what I've heard and read, The bite was spotty but some folks did REALLY good... Sounds like black is THE color of choice. Wooly Buggers and Marabou jigs.

Neal, I'll be using one of your leeches rigged weightless and weedless. I got some size 2 Gamakatsu worm hooks and you can rig those things just like you would a fluke or a plastic worm. I figure if I get just out of reach of the shore casters and drift with one of those babies on a spinning rod and a Wooly Bugger on the fly rod it could prove to be deadly!

I also bought two of these small Yozuri AB's. I doctored them up with my sharpie markers to look just like a little Trout. The action on those things is incredible!!

Anybody else going up tomorrow?

Tim
tim-cos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

trying to make it no love from the bossman he keeps giving me these reports to do at the end of the day
Old 04-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

It was slow for most people, I didn't see anyone else raking them but me. I caught easily 35 to 40 cutbows with many large fish. All of those 23 incher are grown up. Landed at least 15 fish today between 23 and 25 inches and two over 26, it was a truley spectactular and unbelievable day. Most fish were on scuds or San Juan worms. I would have never imagined catching that many large fish in one day. Ranger evan showed up on a horse to check everyone. Its going to take hawk eyes to bring me out of this high, or my cousins wedding I have drive 5 hours to attend this weekend. Can't wait to get up there again!!!!!!!!!!!! Pictures are coming!
Oats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Colors on the scuds and sizes? Same for the San Juans?...were you in a tube or from shore?...was it crowded?...where did you fish?...man the first report report from Spinney and he has lock jaw on details...the audience is growing and needs to know!

Glad you had a great day...scuds have long been my favorite fly up there...I was supposed to be up there once on an opener for 3 days...had to leave after two...I could lift my arm my jaw...it hurt from fish...the only time in my life that I got tennis elbow from fish...so I know what you are referring to...they swim around their entire life inhaling scuds and becoming fat pig trout...I have 2.5 days up there this time...I have a friend who kids me about the place...knows my reverance for it...sarcastically asks me if I have been to "Mecca"...well Mecca beckons on Friday...
Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Spinney wasn't crowded at all, compared to the opening day malay. Which was packed from what I've heard. Larger patterns worked best, these fish arn't picky When the wind whips up the shoreline muck you don't want to be flinging around all that micro stuff, so bring your meat and potatos and forget the orderves.
Oats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Did color matter on the scuds?

I need to tie some up...I was leaning towards tan or orange...the 19.5 Ligas special as shown to me by the Colorado Angler...
Old 04-22-2005, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

zman at that DOW meeting they said tan was the color of choice. But I would have a couple backup options just incase rarely does anything I'm told is pulling them in works.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was there yesterday with 2 other guys. The ranger at the gate said the crowds were much smaller. We also saw a ranger checking licenses. We caught 40 between the 3 of us, I was the weak link. Most were caught on bead headed black Wooly Boogers and brown half-backs, drifted or slow retrieved, just off the bottom. The water was cold, air temp when we got there (0800) was 28, and the wind BLEW all day. Make sure to bring your best sun block and use it often!!
left_turn56

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in