Buying lures ? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying lures ?

I've been fishing with bait most of my time. I'm at a point were I would like to try some lures for more interaction. There are soo many choices out there its pretty confusing. I've seen some people at the local lakes in Colorado Springs using them and getting nice sized trout. Definitly bigger than what I've been getting. Do any of you have any suggestions ? I'm on a slight budget but I'm willing to spend money if it works. I've seen scented, soft plastic, spoons, spinners, flies, plugs and jigs. I appreciate any suggestions.
needabite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Buying lures ?

Trout in my opinion are an any lure or plastic kind of fish. I have caught tons in the rivers using floating rapalas in size 11 or 13. They also love a jighead with plastic as well. Sorry this doesn't narrow it down for you but what I'm saying is that you can't really pick a wrong lure for trout. When you do decide put in your time of figuring out how to work it different ways as the trouts attitude seem to change daily.
roth2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

For trout,get some 1/6 or 1/4 oz thomas bouyants in gold or silver. There are a million colors but for starters go with the basics. 1/4 oz kasty's in gold or silver. I like silver w/ orange stripe. Maybe some krocs in gold/orange or rainbow color. Guarantee you'll catch some trout.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Tough question to answer. The budget can diminish quickly when trying to stock up on things.

I would look at a couple of spinners (Panther Martins, Rooster Tails, etc.) as well as some Kastmasters to start. you can use these for just about anything in Colorado. These will be the least expensive. (50 cents to $3.00/piece)

The next thing I would look at is some crank baits that look like shad - maybe one that runs shallow (floating) and a deep diver (floating or sinking). Count on anything from the dollar bin to $10 each. I like rattle traps and I've had a Rapala "teeny we R" and a "deep we R" for many years and have caught a ton of fish on both.

Then I would look at some tube jigs - white or pumpkin in color. (3 or 4 dollars for some tube jigs and some jig heads).

That will get you started and keep your attention for a while An alternative would be to look on craigslist.org or ebay.com for people selling whole lots of tackle (or their tackle box) as well as garage sales - it's a quick and easy way to get an assortment at a small price.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sportsmans w-house has the best prices on metal.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in