New Ultra Light Set Up - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Ultra Light Set Up

I have been wanting one for a while. What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&cmCat=3336797

Only $30. Is it a good deal? Should I get something else?
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Ultra Light Set Up

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I have a phobia about buying a rod I haven't actually held in my hands and tried out the action. A lot of the ULs I have tried in the stores are just a bit too soft and whippy for my taste.

You will be replacing the rod tip after a season of use, the line will wear a groove in that stainless steel. It's not a hard repair job, though.

You also have to consider whether the 1-piece rod will fit in your vehicle with no problems. And if it was me, I would prefer the longer of the two models.

It's a very good price, though. If you want to get it, why not just consider it a "first" ultralight, to be replaced with something else in a year or two after you're sold on ultralight fishing. (And you will be.)

Old 04-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
laker taker

I haven't purchased a combo in a long time. I prefer to purchase the rod and reel seperate but your usually in for for money doing it that way. I haven't heard anything bad about Browning fishing gear but I would say they are probably made by another company such as Shimano, Daiwa, etc...

The BPS in Denver was closing out their Quantum energy spin reels from last year and a couple weeks ago all they had left was the 10 size(small/ultra light). Pair that with a ultra light rod and you have a top of the line rig. More $$ though.

$30 is a great price though.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hatchmaster:

Since you are in fort collins, check out Jax. Right now they have some deals on various ultralights. They had one model on sale for $22 I think...5'6". It was a bit soft for my taste...I found one...IM7, fuji guides, reel seat, cork handles and a nice fast action for $18.95...I think it was on clearance or mis priced but It was great deal!

You can buy a decent little ultralight reel for $20-25. I have found that an inexpensive UL reel with 3 or 4 bearings is fine because the lures you pull in are so light and the fish you catch are smaller so it doesn't put as much stress on the reel. I dont think you need a $75 11 bearing reel for a UL setup...but I have to admit that if I could afford it, I'd probably get one anyway...I'm a sucker for high-end stuff.* I accidentaly* bought a mitchell avocet UL reel last summer for a light action rod* I had... It was $25 at Wally World. I put it on the UL rod I just got and it's a perfect fit.* *
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alright then what line should I put on it? I'm thinking 4lb P-Line floro? What do you think?
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check out the TICA CETUS, it is probably the nicest ultra-light spinning reel out there for the price. Here is a review of it, I have two on the way right now.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewticasb500.html
Firedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in