Urban fishing (Q&A and fishing reports) - Page 9 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #81 (permalink)

Default Lowell pond #1 (according to CPW)

Reading the CPW pdf on the castfish stocking program, I got a bit confused about these ponds... Apparently the one I want is "south of Clear Creek and adjacent to the Clear Creek bike path".... But the article also mentions that it is "On 56th Way"

there is no such place... there is the one "on" 56th way, but it is north of Clear Creek. There is one "south of Clear Creek and adjacent to the Clear Creek bike path" but it is nowhere near 56th way....

Here's the link.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...lPond1East.pdf

And here's the pic.

You guys know where I'm trying to go here? Not bass fishing....

Last edited by Opry99er; 09-14-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
Opry99er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #82 (permalink)

This pic here is from "thesportsglobe"... It leads me to believe that the ponds "south of Clear Creek" are not even part of the same group of ponds?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #83 (permalink)

Looks like I'm looking for that big (main) lake above Clear Creek... it is as I thought, but I was just a bit perplexed by the area description in the CPW brochure....I wonder where the "inlets" are here? I'm sure it's primarily runoff water, but we've had plenty of that....

I know that Overland Pond has diverted Platte water that flows into and out of it... Anything like that with Clear Creek and Lowell Ponds?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #84 (permalink)

Well, we didn't get up to any new water Saturday night... it was a bit of a crazy day and we were only able to go to the little spot by the house for an hour of fishing.

Pulling up to the lake... My kid loves this sh** as much or more than I do. =)

Got to the spot, set up our gear and kicked back.

Water was high, fishing was slow, but we were able to manage one small channel cat on two week old rancid livers. Poor little guy... had some funny discoloration behind his head. We released him, hoping he gets bigger so we can catch him when he's a little bigger.

My son is getting better at taking pictures. =) He took the pic before I said "GO" so I couldn't get off a smile. =)

Good night, but we're in need of some new water... Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Opry99er; 09-22-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Opry99er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #85 (permalink)

wait!! Looked through the camera and found these pix too... he must have squeezed off a couple more. =)

Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #86 (permalink)

I've been doing some research lately and have decided to try some circle hooks. It has been suggested on this thread before, but I wasn't able to find any at Wal Mart. I'm going to buy some tomorrow (my off day) and give them a go.

Seems that they will allow for a much cleaner hook and release, and I won't miss as many. Yes, "the set's where it's at" (hehe) but I think I'll be using circle hooks from now on when catfishing. Got a couple locations I'd like to try this week--- neither of which I've tried before. My wife grounded my son today... he apparently tore up his room and refused to take a nap... so I'll have to convince the wife to let him go fishing with me tomorrow. =)

In any case, thanks to everyone who has been helpful in our quest. I thank you and Buck thanks you too. We are blessed to live here in Colorado and have access to the knowledge you guys have passed on to us. I'm confident Buck will get his 5 pounder this year. =) Maybe a 10 pounder next year. It's been brought to my attention that we'll need to upgrade our gear if we want to go after bigger fish though... Looks like I'll have a Christmas list for Santa this year. =)

Tight lines.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #87 (permalink)

Heading out tomorrow night for the next round of catfish hunting. Got two locations in mind... One primary and a secondary (if the first fails). Will be using our new circle hooks and livers (as we were unable to catch any bait this week) and will be trying a new method for rigging the lines.

Hopefully I'll be able to buy a spool of braid next week after payday. This week I'm still working the 20lb test monofilament.

Owen
Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #88 (permalink)

Highly recommended spot tonight. Skunked. No bites in over 2 hours of fishing. No worries... its not Winter YET.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #89 (permalink)

AWESOME THREAD!
The circle hooks should work for you. I swapped out j-hooks and trebles for circles anytime I am baitfishing & I love it. The biggest thing to remember is DO NOT SET THE HOOK! Instead you wait to make sure they have the bait completely in their mouth then do a gentle, steady sweep to the side with the rod. This will lodge the bait in the corner of the mouth every time.
coloradodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #90 (permalink)

thanks coloradodad. I have yet to even get a bite on these hooks yet, but I'm sure that when I do, I'll be HOOKED!

Tags
bass, catfish, fishing, metro, urban

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in