Jon Boats? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jon Boats?

Sorry to bother you guys with more boat threads but today I went to Bass Pro Shops and that guy at the Trackor Boat Sales told me that canoes are VERY unsafe to fish from and they can tip very easily. So he suggested a 12ft jon boat that they had there. He said it can fit 3 people and you can stand in it with it being stable. He also suggested a small 6 HP motor for it. and all together with the motor and boat it would be $1,500. Does this sound like a good deal? And how fast will a 6 HP motor go? I read in the brouchure and it said person weight limit and it said 3/325. Does that mean that all together that there cant be more then 325lbs on the boat? That must mean 3 100lb little kids must be driving the boat. This means I wouldnt even be able to take my dad....Can I go over that limit?
khabibulin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Jon Boats?

I cant say first hand but I know Canoes arent the safe things on the water. If it were me id go with a Jon boat.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah after that guy told me about that and hearing of people dying in them I think a Jon Boat is a safer by alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

The disadvantage of a jon boat is you have a shallow draft (the side of the boat isn't that far from the depth of the water). If I remember correctly, that jon boat is $550 and you were contemplating a trolling motor on the canoe - do you really need an outboard or can you get by with an electric for a total cost of $650 brand new?

On a 12 foot Jon, two people is enough with gear (fishing tackle, anchor, etc.). I wouldn't go over the recommended weight limit on any boat.

For $1,500 you have a lot of options if you take a look at the used market - you could even buy Jay's boat (if he hasn't sold it).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I still have it Sorry I dont have any pics of it

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

o cool well could I possibly see some pics? and what type and year is it?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

just because a john boat saleman told you canoes are unsafe, dont take it as the gospel. it is NOT the boat but the operator! i remember a while back trapper posted a good sized boat almost going under at P-lo sure there are things a boat can do that a canoe cant but it goes the other way also it really depends on what you want to do

for me i have a little of everything just to cover the bases a float tube, a canoe, and a 16 tri hull for versitility and ease of use the canoe wins hands down, it gets the most use by far. it takes 5 min to load the canoe, padle, lifejacket and just as quick to get it in the water. with the float tube i gotta top off the bladder and crawl into some waders and fins then try to get in the water with out doing a face plant and with the boat i gottas hitch the trailer make sure i got gas then find a ramp

with the canoe i have to watch the weather on the lakes. wind and waves can make for some excitment. but with a little practice and good sense you can stay safe. the only time i ever tipped (other than training) was on the colorado river along the CA-AZ border and i was sitting on top of the stern and we were in the midst of a huge water fight and i got dumped, no suprizes there, i have been out in 2-3 foot chop on mission bay and lake isable both in ca not something i want to repete but we made it back just a little wet from the spray

if i had to give up all but one of my floaties i would keep the canoe hands down!

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

draft is the is the amount of the boat under water 6" draft will need attleast 6"+ water to float

freeboard is the distance from the water to the top of the gunel(sp) having a short freeboard leaves you vulnerable to haveing waves, and even boat wakes swamp you

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wanna be able to move around more and get places quicker.... Even in the first place I thought a canoe was a little dangrous
Old 06-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think its a 78 mirrocraft w/ a 18hp Johnson seahorse(doe about 16mph). With trailer, lights, trolling motor, 2 seats.

Here are the pics I have:

Just kidding:

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in