Cameras & Hiking Boots for Fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cameras & Hiking Boots for Fishing

Not sure if this is really a fishing topic, but I'm concerned nobody looks closely at the off-topic board.

Wondering for all your beautiful fish pics that have been posted, what types of cameras do you use. I'm sure they are digital, but do you take a nice, expensive one with you, one that is moderately priced but still decent, or one of the cheapos I see advertised. Been thinking of getting me one for fishing trips, but worry about taking the family camera in case it drops in the water. Didn't know if the cheap ones worked very well.

On the hiking boot topic, wondering opinions on decent boots, especially brands. Don't do a lot of hiking, but would like to get up to some more to get up to some lakes. Don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a pair that I only use a handful of times each year. Possibly something that can double for use on a wet day around town. Have Plantars faceitis, so cushioning is an issue.

Thanks for any help you can give. I like the idea of going straight to the consumer for opinions, not trusting the salespeople entirely.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to AZbassernco
Default Re: Cameras & Hiking Boots for Fishing

go to sportsmans warehouse and check out the columbias and hitechs made by same people i beleive and i swear by them
Old 06-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

With relation to hiking boots - I went out and spent an arm and a leg on a good pair of Danner's. I have flat feet as well as EEE wide feet - these came with arch supports included in the price. Very worth it. I bought the boots in 1991 and I haven't regretted it. They were worth the price and they fit my foot.

If you live in the Denver area, the place I'd recommend you go talk to is Mountain Miser on Hampden and Broadway. If you want a decent price, you can also check out the Army Navy Surplus store in the same area as well.

HiTechs will do the trick, and they usually last a few months for me but they don't give the same support. For $30 or $40 they are worth it - any more than that, look at a decent pair.

Another good place for equipment in general (including boots) is MEC - the Canadian equivalent to REI. The only problem is it takes about 3 months to get the stuff so you have to plan ahead. Prices in Canadian Dollars are worth the wait http://www.mec.ca

As far as cameras, I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 that I fried over the weekend in the weather at Lake Mac. It did the trick. I also have a Canon 20d Digital SLR that I use to shoot stock photos as a hobby, but it gets much more protected and doesn't see the same places as the cheap one. I've heard Fuji makes a decent point & shoot.

Here's a resource for reviews...http://www.dpreview.com/

If you're going to buy, I'd recommend this place (Denver camera prices are out of control) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home they are my favorite.

This place is pretty good as well only my experience with the service isn't as good http://www.adorama.com/.

If you need memory cards for the camera, you can't beat the prices here http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...oryCode=012801

Good luck on your search.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
tbmanivong

I have the Sony T-9 or Olympus Stylus 300. Both takes nice pictures.

Took the Olympus Stylus 300 to Big Mac with me yesterday. It is waterproof. We were snapping pictures in the rain.

Nowadays, you can get a good digital camera for a reasonable price. You can find really good deals on Ebay for brand new cameras.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I killed my Olympus Digital by repeatedly dropping it in the river/ lake I was fishing in. (it survived the first few times).

Digitals are great, but I find that a little disposable film camera also takes great pictures and it you drop it in the lake you're only out $5.99 or so. The other alternative it to buy a cheap point and shoot film camera off ebay (I got one for $1.00 plus shipping) If you buy a digital, I would recommend a waterproof one, they can be pricey though.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 02:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

my opinion on boots- if you are willing to pay $100 to $200 bucks, you can get a pair of boots that will literally last you a lifetime. you will have to get them resoled eventually, but you can get a good resole job for $75, but if you only use them a few times a year, good boots will last you 10 to 20 years before you have to, and they will be broken in to your feet forever.
i always bought low end ($30 - $60) merrels (sp?) and although i love them, they would only last me a couple years of heavy use, and they are not worth having resoled.
my wife has a pair of rachelies (sp?) that she used heavily for over ten years! she just had them resoled and they are good to go for another 10 plus. i think she paid around $80 originally, but figure in inflation.
i will be getting new shoes next week and i will be looking at rachelies and high end merrels first, but who knows what i'll find, i have a few hundred bucks credit to work with and intend on getting a pair that will last my lifetime.
arch supports are indeed key to your comfort and health, and you can get custom ones at any decent outdoor shop.
john the fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ive had good luck with the Fuji lines of digital cameras, and also the Olympic Stylus series....now i prefer a camera with a metal body and is at least water resistant. for about 300-400 dollars you can find this if you shop around....or for some of the older models even less. Get yourself a ziplock bag, that has saved me more cameras than anything else...

For Boots....Raichles, Lowa, Vasque, Rocky and Merrells---to name a few. Merrell and Vasque make some good lightweight boots for summertime hiking, and Danner and Rocky make good intermediate weather and cold weather hiking and hunting boots. For extreme cold weather Sorels are still hard to beat. Raichles, Vasque and Lowas are pricey, but make a boot that will last you a long long time in some pretty rough conditions. (ive given them the test, believe me ) Merrells are affordable, and i like them, but dont tend to last quite as long....but are half as cheap (if not cheaper) that the others i listed...so are a good option and are a good day-to-day type shoes. A good pair i just bought for local wear cost me 75 dollars at REI....they have the REI brand name, but are made by Merrell. I also have a pair of Raichles that have the REI brand name, but cost much less--- so take a good look at the boots at REI, you might be surprised what you find written on the inside.

I would say if you are gonna hike in them, and also have foot problems, get the best you can afford...bad boots can ruin your week.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottal
For extreme cold weather Sorels are still hard to beat.
For extreme weather Sorels are a good choice and in a good price range. I have a pair of Koflachs that I like in the winter - plastic shell with removable liner. Cramp-ons fit right on as well as the snow shoes. I'm sure they'll last me a lifetime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in