Trinidad Lake - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trinidad Lake

Greetings - Headin' down to Trinidad for the CWA tourney this weekend. Never fished it before and was looking for a little guidance. Has anyone fished for eyes down there lately? I'm looking for a few recommendations for areas on the lake that may hold good numbers of fish. I will PM those of you who are kind enough to offer any info and give you the full run down on the conditions down there (location, what technique worked best etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Rip Lip
Rip Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Trinidad Lake

Post it or PM you?
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hammer - send me a PM if you don't mind. I will surely get back to you with a report and any other info we find out that you may not have told me. I really appreciate any help!!!

Rip Lip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rip,
I called the Army Corp to get a water level report for the South Chapter meeting and the board meeting we (the CWA) will be having tonight. 3 weeks ago the Corp said the lake was at 609 surface acres and expected 500 for the tournament. As of yesterday the lake had 587 surface acres and temps are in the 65 degree range. They have had alot of muddy water come into the lake in the last week or so and he expects only clear water around the dam by this weekend (HINT). He also indicated that a 32 inch and 31 inch eye was caught in the last week. I predict someone will bring in a 10+ pound fish.

As far as techniques, this guy fishes from the south shore and takes home a limit everytime (TWO HINTS). He uses chart and orange jigs with 1/2 a crawler. I got a report that the weeds/grass are growing in water less than 15 feet deep and the fish are in the grass (HINT). Boaters recently reported that worms were getting bit by perch and small eyes, leeches were getting the bigger eyes.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ripper,
PM sent. Good luck.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Setthehook - Thanks for the info, that will help get us started. *It sounds like some big fish are showing themselves. *It will be interesting to see the weigh-in. *Are you fishing in the tournament? *I'll send you a PM next Monday with our results and any additional info. *We are heading down on Thursday night, pre-fish on friday and hopefully find some fish and figure them out. *Thanks again!!

Rip Lip
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nope, was entered but dropped to do the weigh-in duties. I will be on the water though, look for an all black Princecraft with Merc motors. Will get there Friday morning.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Setthehook - Duty calls eh? Thanks for helping!! We'll keep an Eye out for you and say hello. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate for us, hopefully. We'll be in a 17' Tracker, green & beige. See you down there!!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

reilly canyon, the dam, the test dam, and all the old channels and any rip rap areas have plenty of saugeyes and walleyes. i would troll crawler harnesses deep this time of year or throw curly tails when you locate a concentration.
dothy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in