Picked up a new(to me) personal pontoon. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Picked up a new(to me) personal pontoon.

Fish Cat 8:

Picked it up off craigslist from a guy over in Parker... Said he only used it like 1 time.. And based on the condition I would have to say he was telling the truth!!

So far it is just a stock set-up with the added wheels for transport(Wheels have been reinforced)
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

So...... This is my 1st personal tube/toon ect. I have a boat and have used a bass hunter(small bass boat) ect

Just wondering what type of tips/suggestions/ect that people may have for me?

I have been doing searches online and am planning on making a mount for my HDS-5. Not planing on gettign a TM... yet.

Looks like I'll prob. wanna rig up a rod holder and also a net holder of some type.

Ok so what about waders? I know i need some if i plan on fishing places like Quincy... but what about just for comfort? If im fishing a metro body of water in the spring or fall it may be required due to water temp... but what about summer time?

What about fins? The toon has really nice oars with metal oar locks....

Should I rig up some way to attach my rods to the toon while I fish just in case i drop it??

Life vest..... required by law? or just suggested?

Whistle?

Registration?(My understanding is that as long as i dont have a motor of any kind I do not have to register?)

As far as the regulations/safety questions go i could look those up online... but for some reason i am having a hard time finding good links for the CPD/DOW.... Seems they may be doing mntc on the site or something?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wear a vest..just because it's a smart thing to do. Attach a whistle to it for the same reason. No registration needed until you put a motor on it. Waders in spring and fall..go wet in the summer. Neoprene is cheap. Looks like a nice toon.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't drop your rod in the water.

Nice boat.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Keep a life jacket and whistle on board, and have your name and address written on it somewhere. Keeps the rangers off your back.
shutupandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't like waders, unless it's a must for colder temps. Always have your fins at least near. It's much easier to fish when you're not having to row. Rod holders are almost a must. I will also tell you that ya need to get that thing down a river. Maybe the Colorado through Pumphouse or Radium. It's so much more fun going down a river rather than putzing around a lake. But that's just my opinion! That bout will handle a fun class III river no problem. And to be honest it could go through a class IV if need be. Not suggested unless you're fairly experienced however! Also, always wear your life vest. Especially if you have waders on!

Last edited by baetisrun1; 03-12-2014 at 07:38 AM.
baetisrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Jim mentioned the fins..You'll definitely want to wear them on ponds or lakes. You'll use the oars to get you where you want to go..but the fins will allow you to move around and fish.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awesome info guys keep it coming!!

Also i have a small ancor that i will be using.. The back of the toon has an anchoring system with a small pulley.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
Jim mentioned the fins..You'll definitely want to wear them on ponds or lakes. You'll use the oars to get you where you want to go..but the fins will allow you to move around and fish.
Yup.... The oars are your outboard and the fins are your bow mounted trolling motor. I can fish in my pontoon without my oars, but wouldn't even take it out without having my fins.

Outcast makes some quality boats! I've got an old pontoon outcast used to make for BPS that's still kicking and I beat the hell out of it.

I used neoprene forever but this year I switched to breathables and they're much more comfortable.

Nice buy!!!
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good advice from the folks already. I have a Bucks Bag pontoon that looks somewhat similar. I have used it on the Colorado from NewCastle down to Silt and on the lower Gunnison and on sections A and B on the Green in Utah. Handled those rivers just fine. Also lots of time on lakes in Oregon, Utah, and here in western Colorado. Never used neoprene's as I have found breathables to work just fine. If colder, I just layer fleece under the breathables. I have Force fins and would never use another brand - expensive but well worth it. On lakes I use the fins and oars. On rivers I only wear my wading boots and never use fins. Perhaps others do, but I usually just float from place to place on rivers and then beach the toon and fish up and down the shore till I've covered the water and then float to the next place. I'll have to admit that I don't always wear my vest on lakes but it (and a whistle) are always right next to me. On rivers I don't float without the vest on. If there is a stripping apron that came with your fishcat definitely use it. If it didn't come with one see if you can get one from the manufacturer - they probably have some for replacements. Enjoy the toon.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in