I need some advice - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need some advice

Me and my family are from Kansas City, KS. We are wanting to spend a week in Colorado fishing. Now, being from Kansas, we are avid catfishing people. Can you good people give us some good places to catfish in your state? I would like a decent place to camp (30' Nomad TT) with full hook ups, and prefer somewhere right off I-70 since we will be heading to Utah after your state. We are looking at James M Robb State Park, the Island Acres Section. Does anyone have anything to say good or bad about this place? Do you recommend a different lake or different part of the river for catfish? I really appriciate anyones help. If any of you come to Kansas City to fish, I will give you some good spots. If fishing is good this time around, we will be back late next June or early July.

Keri
kw_jw174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: I need some advice

Highline State Park is gorgeous too...I know they have catfish but not sure how good the fishing is...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check these guys out:* http://www.westernslopeanglers.com/index.php
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
tbmanivong

I have heard of nice channel cats coming out of Island Acres area. I've fished the Colorado around Fruita & did pretty good quantity wise, nothing of size though.

I went to Highline once & did not do well at all. I've read about folks catching plenty of bullheads out of Highline.

Best bet, fish the Colorado River.

Here's another link to explore...
http://parks.state.co.us/default.asp...ch&search=park

Good luck.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
tbmanivong

One more Lake to consider. Bonny Lake in Burlington. About an hour or so from the Kansas border on I-70. Great lake to fish.

Channel, wiper, walleye, white bass, & crappie.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks so much y'all. I appriciate the help. I know y'all are big trout fish people, I am not looking for the state record catfish, just someplace to camp and catch some for a couple days. Keep bringing me lakes and places. I will go no farther than say 30 miles from I 70. No need to get lost.
kw_jw174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bonny res. is a little over 20 miles n. of burlington and has great campgrounds with easy access to the water.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Burlington is about 12 miles west of the Kansas border on I-70. If you wanted to fish there now you would probably want to focus your fishing off the dam, and with kids can be tough walking across the rocks. The lake is very low. Plus the landscape looks just like Kansas IMO. If you wanted to see more senic CO while visiting you would probably be better off going much farther west. The campgrounds are very nice though and if you had a boat can be very productive.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
tbmanivong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw_jw174
Thanks so much y'all.* I appriciate the help.* I know y'all are big trout fish people, I am not looking for the state record catfish, just someplace to camp and catch some for a couple days.* Keep bringing me lakes and places.* I will go no farther than say 30 miles from I 70.* No need to get lost.*
I think Bonny Lake will be a great place to fish & camp. It can be rugged along the dam, but the north shore (all dirt) can be productive for channels.

Not all of us are trout folks. Very diverse in Colorado. We have it all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in