Lake Dillon Kokanee - Colorado Fishing Forum

View Poll Results: Do you really care if Dillon has a self substaining kokanee population?
Yes 21 35.00%
No 33 55.00%
indifferent 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake Dillon Kokanee

I know this horse has been beaten to death but after reading through much of Jon Ewert's Thread I'm curious about something. How many fisherman on this site really care about the kokanee population in Lake Dillon and why?

Last edited by WestSloper; 04-04-2014 at 09:19 AM.
WestSloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cool

Don't fish it, don't care.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Very few if any, they are the tiniest in the state but are naturally reproduced, one of the latest development at Dillon is after not stocking them for 20 years, the last 3 years Ewert has been stocking hundreds of thousands of Rainbow fingerlings with the goal of feeding and bringing back some trophy Browns.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Has anyone heard of any decent browns being caught in the lake recently. I'm to young to remember, but my dad said in the 70's and early 80's 10lbs plus fish were common in dillon. I've only ice fished it (once or twice a year for the last 10 years) and sure I've caught a ton of 8-10" jokes and a few little rainbow but never a brown or anything of any size.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't care.
fishforall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

If Kokes can sustain in Lake Dillon we ought be able to figure out how to do it elsewhere. Maybe we can even figure out how to get them a little bigger!

It's a great spot to go for early ice.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

My understanding is they self sustain in Cheesman Lake also..
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

There are still some decent browns there. Not as many as there were in years past, but they are there. Dillon is a big lake and the few popular spots that get fished are just the tip of the iceburg. There is some decent fishing if you're willing to put in the time and explore. I think many of us would like to see it stocked with mackinaw, but unfortunately CPW is only focused on the "joke" fishery.
fishhunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow View Post
Maybe we can even figure out how to get them a little bigger!
I would support genetic engineering for those suckers. I can't find enough motivation to chase 12" to 14" fish, unless we are talking crappies for the table.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunterdan View Post
There are still some decent browns there. Not as many as there were in years past, but they are there. Dillon is a big lake and the few popular spots that get fished are just the tip of the iceburg. There is some decent fishing if you're willing to put in the time and explore. I think many of us would like to see it stocked with mackinaw, but unfortunately CPW is only focused on the "joke" fishery.
Yep, what fishhunterdan said, the lake has some killer spots to fish, and has a few really big browns but the access in the winter is horrible. If you really want to get into the good fishing at Dillon, you have to hike and walk alot. This year was especially challenging because of the deeper snow and weather. Lake ice conditions are perfect at the moment.

Dillon has been stocked with hundreds of thousands of rainbow fingerlings in hopes to feed the big brows. In my opinion, the problem is, there are not enough big browns to take out hundreds and hundreds of thousands of fingerlings. So the question i ask is: Are all those fingerlings competing with the kokanne, fingerling browns, and fingerling char for the limited amount of daphnia zoo plankton in the reservoir?".

As far as the kokanne, there are alot of people who really enjoy catching the spawners through the ice right after it ices up at the snake. There are very select few who get into the silver ones through the ice out on the main lake. And even fewer that target them with high success during the summer....I'm looking out the window right now, and there is a hut set up right now over the kokanne. It is the same guys i have seen all winter, they are the only other guys i have met out there that know how to get to the silver ones. Not they are the only guys that do it. They are just the only ones i personally have seen.
To those who like to fish the snake in the fall, the news is good. The 3 year old silver ones we have seen this season are relatively good size, a few inches bigger than what we have been seeing in the past.
So the answer I have for your question is Yes, for two or three months out of the year, the kokanne fishing is fun and alot of people enjoy it, Beyond the snake spawners, and during the bulk of the year the answer is No, very few people have success with them and they are the pretty much the smallest and hardest to catch kokes around.
Fordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in