In need of some local knowledge - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default In need of some local knowledge

Hey, need some help finding some good shore fishing spots. Iv been in Boulder for the past 2 years, but just really starting to get into fishing here. Fished a lot in Illinois and Wisconsin mainly for bass and other pan fish.

I'm looking for some decent shorefishing around boulder or like 45min out that doesn't require much hiking. Would be happy to find some good spots for pretty much anything; bass, walleye, pike, trout. Looking for a few spots that wouldn't be too hard to get too and take up an entire day. Have had a lot of luck hiking at Gross Res, but looking for something a little easier to do and less time consuming for some quick fun trips. Me and my girlfriend have each got a spin rod and are looking for some nice new places to go. There are a million spots on the fishing Atlas its hard to zero in on the ones that are worthwhile.

Got skunked at Standley lake and Bear Creek Lake these past 2 weeks.

Thanks in advanced, and look forward to bein a part of the site.
dankuhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome. Arvada (Blunn) Res when it gets hot out.

Bring your A game and polars. Tight Lines.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, will look into it. Anyone else got any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Might take a look at Harper. Not chock full but they stock it in the spring with some rainbows. And it has a few bass and lots of big carp. Might take a look at the Carter\Flatiron\Pinewood system as well.

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fishing close to home book. Get one.

Then you will open your eyes and understand you are only a few miles from heaven.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

golden gate canyon state park has some ponds that are full of rainbows. Great place to feel the tug
krueger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sweet, thanks for all the replies. Will look further into all of these places. Isn't the Fishing Close To Home Book essentially the online fishing atlas?

And is there any good pike fishing out here? without fly gear? Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Fishing Close to Home book is put out by the CPW and contains species lists and regs for most/all fishable waters in the Denver metro and surrounding areas. Its an excellent resource and certainly something you should have, since you're new to fishing this area.

Pike are hated by the CPW and loved by many anglers in the state. Because of this, there is no limit on pike in many waters. This leads to ponds and lakes getting hammered and wiped out. I suggest using the Search function on this site... Do a little research, go fishing, post tasteful and careful reports with pictures, and you'll receive more help.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Move west...
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dan- you're only 20 minutes from the StVrain out of Lyons. Sounds like you prefer spin fishing. If you get some #1 Blue Fox Vibrax spinners and use #4 lb line- you ought to be all set. Get a belt pack or vest to carry your gear instead of a tackle box (that let's you wander around) and for a wading staff- get a $3 metal broom handle at Wally World and put a bolt in the tip end- works great. You can "wade wet and have a dry pair of socks and sneakers in the vehicle at day's end.
Cast across stream and just keep a tight line, the force of the current will cause the blade on the spinner to spin and then let it swing like a door downstream, the idea is for the spinner to swing in front of a rock, etc where a trout might be located. If you do it correctly the spinner ought to be at mid-depth and not snag on any rocks.
The other spinning method is an angle worm on a 2 hook gang and a split shot- you can cast that right into rapids/riffles and let it bounce along the bottom and catch bows in fast water.
If you want to try fly fishing start with nymphs since you sort of "lob cast" and really don't need that much skill in casting. It is similar to the wrom gang, a couple of nymphs and split shot bouncing along the bottom.
red owl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in