Just need to vent... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just need to vent...

Took my little cousins out one last time today and it was a pretty slow day caught maybe 10 small bass overall, the kids had to be home soon so we started heading out and as im passing one of my spots i was planning on skipping i just see trout tearing up the surface, i go down real quick cast out a big spinner right away had something on then it came off and about 200 stocker trout come chasing my lure and all of a sudden i see a MONSTER, i cast again and the next thing i know theres 2 more monsters. These trout looked like fucking carp no bullshit they were massive i would have to say easily 27-30 inches, I have not done much serious trout fishing so these were by far the biggest trout I've ever seen. They followed my lure multiple times but those bastards were smarter than most, we already had basically no time to fish but the boys wanted to try to catch smaller trout which was inevitable with the smaller spinner but i saw those fish and went into happy kid mode and told them to step back! I fished for maybe 15 min, we were late to begin with, and then we really had to go these trout were so damn big, their heads had to be atleast 3-4 inches wide. They literally looked like carp. Well theres that i had to vent here cause i couldn't do too much of it infront of kids

On a side note what do you guys use for big trout, i was throwing a number 5 mepps at them and they would follow it but then swim off, i know these fish are smart, they are that big for a reason.
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know that's what she said but sorry bro, it just wasn't that big.
NymphoStage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like they stocked some brooders. Up until now they've been eating pellets. Just use your regular spinners and lures...no need to up size.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea i mean 30 inch could be exaggeration seeing as how I've never seen a 30 inch trout in person but i was excited/pissed when i posted this(Im still pissed). How many brooders are usually stocked and how big are the usually?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tend to disagree with Hobie on this... smallish suspending jerks in the 3"-4" range drive big trout nuts... fast fast fast, pause, fast fast... In moving water, I like tubes (if you aren't fly fishing).

A stripped streamer also has the same affect.

Last edited by Oyey; 04-15-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Oyey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had thrown a rapala topwater at them and dove it down and they were very interested, but no hits obviously...I'm going to back out tomorrow morning to see if i can find them again!!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

If they TRULY are brooders from a hatchery, toss a handful of gravel out in the water, then toss a small ball of trout dough or Power Bait on a tiny hook right into the middle of the gravel spray........

and hang on...
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yea except the 200+ other small stockers would likely get it before one of the 3 big ones
Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Troof.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

The big ones would come in slowly behind all the stockers they weren't very aggressive, but they still showed interest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in