Rod capacity question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rod capacity question

Yo, fellas. Quick question.

I have an Eagle Claw IM7 Aristocrat G2 "Heavy" weight spinning rod. It's 6'6 long and shows a capacity of 12-20 lb line and 3/8-3/4 oz lures.

This is one tough rod...

So, I'm setting this up as my second cat rod right now... My question is, what the hell is up with the "Lure" rating? I know it's a number giving the "optimum" weight for "optimum casting distance" but it seems like a pretty narrow window there.... Would it be possible to run a 3 oz slip sinker on it?

Currently, I have 30# braid spooled on the reel (4000 series Aristocrat Eagle) and it seems to handle a 1 oz sinker JUST fine... no excessive flex in the tip, no "bounce" effect.

If the "Lure" rating is 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz, (I still don't get how they come up with this number) then is it not supposed to be able to handle a 3 oz slip sinker?

I've got my terminal tackle set up, just wondering if it's smart (or not) to throw the 3 oz sinker on there... I DO NOT want to damage this rod, as it was a gift and one I like very much.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I generally look at rod lure-weight ratings as guidelines - they tell you what the ideal casting weights for the rod are. You can definitely go outside of those, but at the lighter end you'll have trouble getting a lot of range and at the heavy end you may find that the rod is actually overpowered by the weight on a typical cast, and thus doesn't have the same range that a rod that is rated for heavier weights might have.

In your case, you could probably lob-cast a heavier weight, but I'm not sure I'd go with a faster (traditional) cast with a 3 oz weight.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, I went ahead and rigged it up... Its borderline but, as you said, Doc, it'll work for lob casting quite well. My big King Kat rod handles that 3 oz perfectly. Like it was built for it. The rod loads up just right and it sails like a flippin catapult.

Guess I should buy another one of those when I have disposable income.... Save my Eagle Claw rod for something else.

It will work though.. Probably solid for 20-40 yards.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
P I K E

Hey Owen, I have here an Eagle Claw Cat Claw casting rod that has never been used. It is a discontinued model that I've had for a few years, promised it to another member but he has disappeared so if you want it come and get it!!! It is 8', Med heavy, line wt. 12-30 lbs, lure wt. 1 1/2- 2 1/2. I prolly even have an old casting reel around here somewhere to go with it. If you're interested let me know!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm surprised your cat rod can cast 3 oz like a catapult
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Owen..seriously..lighten up on your rig. You can catch the biggest cats in Colorado on ten to twelve pound test and you'll never need a 1, 2, or 3 ounce weight. When I do bottom fish for cats..I don't use any weight at all. Other than fishing a tail race when they're releasing a lot of water...I just wouldn't see the need. I think you'll catch more fish...fish closer to shore..ten to twenty feet..no need to be launching bait for catfish.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
Owen..seriously..lighten up on your rig. You can catch the biggest cats in Colorado on ten to twelve pound test and you'll never need a 1, 2, or 3 ounce weight. When I do bottom fish for cats..I don't use any weight at all. Other than fishing a tail race when they're releasing a lot of water...I just wouldn't see the need. I think you'll catch more fish...fish closer to shore..ten to twenty feet..no need to be launching bait for catfish.
Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner!! Like i had said in one of your previous threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson View Post
And when i do try for carp i always go weightless... same with Catfishing.. Weightless... You typically dont need to cast as far as most people think.. so I am able to do without weight and still manage a few... Atleast cats.... carp are a whole diff. story.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cool My II Cents

http://fishingnoob.com/wp-content/up...01/bankrig.jpg

Best bottom rig. Adjust weight for personal preference.

Adjust leader for length.

More sensitive to bites.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Broomsticks work in a pinch.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
I think Owen may be getting set up for Tennessee cats! They get seriously big there!
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in