Shore fishing for wipers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shore fishing for wipers

Hello all, I'm a new member to this forum and new to Colorado (moved here in Sept). I grew up in the Bay Area (NorCal) fishing saltwater stripers and moved to SoCal in 2003 where I started hunting stripers in freshwater. Since moving here to CO, I've really had a great time exploring new waters with a fly rod and have become fascinated by and addicted to fishing the fly. But, that's a different story.

Since the weather has been warming up, I've dusted off my casting gear and started chasing bass again with mixed success. But, the species I'm really interested in going after is Wiper. It's one species I have yet to catch but have heard that they fight harder than their striper cousins of which I've caught countless. So I'm trying to find out when they start becoming more active and foraging closer to shore. I live in Parker but drive all over the place for work and always have rods and gear in my car. Through research I've learned where they live, but am still trying to understand when they "come out to play" so to speak. I also picked up an 8wt fly rod recently just to hunt them with streamers. I'm assuming that it's mainly a water temp thing along with baitfish being semi-abundant near shore. Again I mention shore because I don't have a boat.

So really, I'm just looking for some feedback or advice from many of you CO anglers to see if I can gain some knowledge that will help me in my pursuit of Mr. Wipey! Thanks in advance for any insight.
Risso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Gonna be honest its probably gonna be tough getting good wiper info on here. Wiper are somewhat elusive here and people that know wiper are probably gonna have lockjaw for that reason. That being said I hear Jackson can be good? I don't know much about wiper but good luck to ya
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
P I K E

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe post up some reports from some of those trips you have been taking... Earn a little internet cred(LMAO)... then ask for help and you may get a few PM's...

Your 1st post being a post asking for info.... And about wipers... Like mattyt said.. Wiper are coveted.... not too many people have them dialed and and the ones that do arent talking.. For good reason!! Wiper cannot reproduce so we have to rely on the CPW to stock them. And they are considered very tasty so they already have a target on there heads.

I'll toss you out a little bit of info.... Wiper do not spawn... BUT they do a false spawn @ some point during the year... i think its spring time. Find out when/where they attempt to spawn and you should be able to get into some from shore.

Please practice C.P.R. on such a limited resource!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

John Martin has some as well...I get into some on the south side from time to time, plus you can fish for walleye, saugeye, bass, wiper, crappie, perch, and catfish. Water levels are really low at times, and some of the shoreline takes effort to get to, as it is steep and rocky in places. If you don't catch any at the main reservoir, you can always fish Lake Hasty located right next to the reservoir at the campgrounds and catch trout or warm water fish depending where you fish at Hasty. The spillway also offers catfish fishing, so you have options there, you just have to drive to get there.
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wipers are both amazingly easy to catch and amazingly difficult to pattern at the very same time.

I've gone on countless trips where I could find nary a one in lakes well populated and then a trip comes along where they boil on the surface and you could get a limit as fast as you can reel them in.

They are pretty mobile, but a few tips that might get you on the right track.

Look for in-flowing water in reservoirs in the spring.

Key on a warming water temps.

Look for wind blown shorelines that push baitfish into the shore.

If fly fishing, clouser minnows work well.

Artificials in general that imitate shad work well.

There are plenty of warm-water lakes around that have them in Colorado, a google search can steer you in the right direction.

They are a bit tough to find here at times depending on how available fingerlings are , and as mentioned above, people tend to keep a lot of them because they are tasty.

Nebraska and Kansas have pretty good fishing for them or so I am told.

The tip to hit JM is a good one and it contains white bass as well, which are great to catch.

Good luck in your quest and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

PD
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

And if you catch one of my kids that are over 10 pounds let it go!...keep the cornish game wipers instead!!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Seaman Reservoir has big ones-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
Seaman Reservoir has big ones-
Slayer's keyboard is typing and being helpful...a combo that leads to fibbing...lol

Good luck at Powell Mikey!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thx Z its gonna be different than the CRACK for sure-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in