Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   life span of berkley trilene xl (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98849)

walleye seeker 04-24-2014 06:39 PM

life span of berkley trilene xl

in 1981 i bought out the fishing stock of a store in Breck that wanted to go out of the fishing business. at that time i priced everything for sale. the other day i found two spools of trilene that was bought then, i was going to throw them away, but i thought i would test the line for the breaking point to see how much strength it had lost. the way i tested it was hang a section of line about 3 feet long with a 8 lb weight tied on the end with the trilene knot. i left it on the spool so i only had one knot. the 10 lb test held a 13lb 5oz weight before breaking and the 17 lb test broke at 19lb 3oz the line was kept in my shed out side the last 10 years. i wondered what new line would test at with my crude test method? i had bought a new spool of 10lb, it broke at an even 13 lbs. to test it i used an 8 lb downrigger ball and 1,2,3,4, and 8 oz sinkers i make so the weights might not be exact but they are close

netboy 04-24-2014 07:00 PM

Mono lasts a long time if you store it in a ziplock and keep it away from direct sunlight.

IMO.. the worst thing for it is sunscreen. Be sure to wash your hands after applying sunscreen and before you touch the line. That stuff will take the paint off your cabinets!

WestSloper 04-24-2014 07:10 PM

Interesting

snagged up 04-24-2014 07:55 PM

My II Cents

I think you proved that aged line is still useable. I have some older line and have not had any problems.

I buy large spools so it takes time to use it up.

boondock 04-24-2014 09:06 PM

Crazy stuff
Wouldn't have guessed that

fishhunterdan 04-24-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 1246489)
Mono lasts a long time if you store it in a ziplock and keep it away from direct sunlight.

IMO.. the worst thing for it is sunscreen. Be sure to wash your hands after applying sunscreen and before you touch the line. That stuff will take the paint off your cabinets!

Anything with deet will also eat it up. Interesting test. Thanks for sharing.

pistoldog 04-24-2014 10:22 PM

I'd have never imagined it would last that long.

Go figure

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

JWurgaft 04-25-2014 12:37 AM

Interesting for sure. I talked to a dude who swore by storing line in the refrigerator. Said it really increase the life span. ...

eyehunter27 04-25-2014 12:05 PM

I bet the memory on those spools is horrible. It's bad enough on new spools. In that weight line it may not matter though.

snagged up 04-25-2014 01:45 PM

My II Cents

All the manufacturers tell you to change your line way more than necessary IMO, of course they sell it.

The pro's do the same, they get it for free.

I feel the line for nicks after a catch regularly and every so often just trim the last 5 feet or so and retie.

I have a boat so if memory becomes a problem, after spooling I let the whole reel out on the lake and drag it for a while. Do the same with the spinning reels because after a while they tend to twist the line.

My current large spools are about 5 years old and I don't see a problem. Pulled a tree limb off the bottom when I snagged it at Chatty with 12 Lb. Got my lure back too.

A personal choice like all things in life, it's your money.

If the fish are active you can catch 'em with string.

Berkley Big Game is my line of choice as I have stated before.

And I talked to a fella that kept his line in the wife's underwear drawer, claimed it kept the skunk off.
:thumb: