Boat Motor Opinions Needed - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boat Motor Opinions Needed

Most likely going to get a boat later this year or early next year. Looking at Ranger 619 and 620's mainly however if a good deal pops up on a 621, I'm in. Yes its far more boat than what I really need to fish around here however, life has been pretty good to Jen and I as of late
(Thanks big guy!) and we would like to travel more and fish bigger lakes. One thing is for sure: It will have the new Humminbird Onix and auto pilot so I don't ram the boat into the Dam at chatty trying to steer with my fat foot.

However, I know two things about boat motors: Jack and Shit and Jack left town... In your experiences with yourself, others or mechanics, what do you think the best motor is? I don't need awesome hole shot but I don't want to have three people on the boat and take 30 min. to get on plane either.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you can pony up for a 620, I'd be doing a Verado on it.

Lucky you.
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yamaha four stroke.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been out in Batman's Ranger fifty or sixty times..I don't know maybe more. You'll like the Rangers. You can fish three easily..four in a pinch. Nice boats..you don't get wet..handles the waves well..comfortable ride.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Batman's is a Ranger Reata 1850 with a 150 Yamaha. I just talked to him and he said Ranger was purchased by Brunswick who owns Mercury and it's tough not having to go with a Merc now from Ranger. He loves his Yamaha. He said he was up at the boat show recently and said he loved the Ranger 20 and 21's ..except for the starting price of $55,000. Said the 21's up there were rigged with 300 horse Mercs. He said on a 20..21...He wouldn't go less than 250 horse.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
If you can pony up for a 620, I'd be doing a Verado on it.

Lucky you.
I've heard the hole shot on the Verado is a little cruddy as in has a hard time getting on plane. It will be a used boat BTW.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

In your opinion, is there an outboard manufacturer that doesn't make a good product currently Hobie?

Merc, Yamaha, Evinrude, Honda...
Old 05-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hobie: Great info. I Have heard great thinks about the Yamahas. Better hole shot than the Verados with better durability.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
In your opinion, is there an outboard manufacturer that doesn't make a good product currently Hobie?

Merc, Yamaha, Evinrude, Honda...
All of my boats have been older over the years..nothing within the past fifteen years..I can only go with what Batman's told me about his experiences...He stays pretty current. I know he's had trouble with his Mercs before and the customer service. The other manufacturer's I can't speak about.

The Mercury motors on the current rangers are one of the reasons he hasn't pulled the trigger on another boat.

Others may have different experiences.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in