crawdads for eatin' - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default crawdads for eatin'

Hey all. Caught some crawdads today. Wondering how you all handle them once caught in preparation for eating.

1. Purging?-I've seen two options, fresh water or salted water, with people stating each is better. Any opinions? I think I stuck some in regular tap water (no salt) last year when i tried it for the first time, but can't remember the outcome.

2. Longterm Storage - I only have a few right now (didn't really stay long), can they freeze? I was thinking that I could boil them up today or tomorrow, peel them (or at least get rid of the heads & claws), and stick them in the freezer until I had enough for a dinner sometime (maybe in a little gumbo).

After reading some posts earlier this summer on traps, I got one and worked well. I caught a bunch last year by hand with a net, but that took a lot of work and a long time to get enough. Today, I set the trap, walked to the park with the kids, returned in about 45 minutes and had about 10 or so. Not bad considering no real effort was put forth. Thanks for your ideas.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: crawdads for eatin'

i dont think purging them is as important as de-veigning them. i have done it with salt and without salt. didnt seem to make much of a difference. they were all tasty. you can freeze the tails. to de-veign them before you cook or freeze them remove the tail. take the middle flipper fin on the end of the tail and twist then pull. the veign comes out. i would not shell the tails before freezing. if you really want to keep them fresh freeze them in a block or ziplock of water. this keeps all the air out like a poor mans vaccume sealer. you can do just about anything with them that you can do with shrimp. enjoy!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

As part of your purging them you can keep them pretty well... find a flat tub and put about an inch of water in it... not enough to cover them but enough to keep them wet. Switch out the water every 24 hours. A couple days and the water will stop turning brown (purge complete) and your dads will still be ok. If you are keeping them for a while you will need to feed them in which case you have to change the water more then once a day. But they will live a long time this way.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

don't pitch the claws, keep the big one(usually the left one). darn good eating.
COLD CASE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in