Granby, Blue Mesa, Green Mountain, Williams Fork - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Granby, Blue Mesa, Green Mountain, Williams Fork

Me and my girlfriend are going to have our first go at lake trout tomorrow. We'll be throwing sucker from the shore. Have never been to any of these places yet. All are about 2-2.5 hours away. Which do you guys think would be our best bet? Planning on leaving around 6am tomorrow morning.

- Its kind of confusing looking at the lake / ice conditions right now and what is actually able to be shore fished

-- Thanks in advanced yall!
dankuhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankuhh View Post
Me and my girlfriend are going to have our first go at lake trout tomorrow. We'll be throwing sucker from the shore. Have never been to any of these places yet. All are about 2-2.5 hours away. Which do you guys think would be our best bet? Planning on leaving around 6am tomorrow morning.

- Its kind of confusing looking at the lake / ice conditions right now and what is actually able to be shore fished

-- Thanks in advanced yall!
williams fork was unsafe with lots of water in the inlet last 2 weeks ago. i'm sure at this point there's plenty of open water that can be fished if its not all the way open.

wolford was half open 2 weeks as well, and they just opened the lake to boating. I did pretty good towards the north end throwing tube jigs and kastys. all the fish I caught were 13 inch dink browns and cutbows though. no lakers in wolford.

green mtn had lots of open water towards the inlet as well, Im sure at this point there's lots of open water to fish now.

blue mesa I think is wide the eff open, from looking at past reports.

Wherever you go, if you are going to be a sucker-chucker.... don't be that guy. use circle hooks if in the event you hook into a monster fish, and if you do hook into a monster please consider returning the fish to the water and keep the eaters.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the reply man. already got the circle hooks and yep just lookin for some fun, ill be sure to grab a pic not gonna keep any monsters if were lucky enough to land one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

cool.

if you wanna know a good tip, instead of just drowning sucker meat.... get 3 inch berkely white tubes and 1/4 oz jigheads, and just use those with the meat. you'll have better luck working them on the rocks (even if you lose a few) than using the rig.

**waits for chuckphlegm to come into thread demanding pictures of fish**

#thorntonscumbags

Last edited by Dave M; 05-04-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
cool.

if you wanna know a good tip, instead of just drowning sucker meat.... get 3 inch berkely white tubes and 1/4 oz jigheads, and just use those with the meat. you'll have better luck working them on the rocks (even if you lose a few) than using the rig.

And don't forget big crank baits at ice out. Can be expensive, but can be rewarding. I caught a very nice laker, through the ice, with a big ass tail dancer still hooked in its mouth from previous open water.
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrm66 View Post
And don't forget big crank baits at ice out. Can be expensive, but can be rewarding. I caught a very nice laker, through the ice, with a big ass tail dancer still hooked in its mouth from previous open water.
I just snapped off a big ol flatfish off on something so big it made me feel like drag wasn't working. I wonder how the fish will get the lure out.
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
cool.

Nice tips Dave and nice comment at the end....it isn't all about the pics! It's about the experience.
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips, wasn't able to actually make it out this morning. Will be doing some local fly fishing instead. Done with finals tuesday, going to try our luck wednesday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in