Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Chatty advice

725 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  idratherbfishing 
#1 ·
I am looking to hit up CHattfield on sunday morning....i've never actually fished there before and will be hitting it from shore. Read a lot of reports on it and I will probably be fishing off the riprap looking for smallies or eyes with my usual cranks, jerkbaits and tubes. Is there any other advice that anyone has or any other places that would produce decent/good numbers of fish????

#3 ·
I have not had very much luck at Chatfield lately from shore, but I always try a few spots that over the years have been good to me.
1. Marina Point - near the handicapped area and straight off the point. Usually use bait here (worms, salmon eggs, leeches) and toss some metal or cranks for smally's
2. Massey Draw - Park here and walk north till the sandy beach becomes rocky. Anywhere from there to the concrete spillway is ok, sometimes? Cranks, tubes or lures here as there are weeds off shore that will get you if doing bait.
3. Inlet area always worth a try, never know what you might catch there. Anything from catfish to walleye, my biggest fish here was a carp.
4. Off the dam. Use cranks or jigs, but be careful for snags. Due to snagging I like to use a leech under a bobber about 4' or more. You can always catch fish off the dam with leeches under a bobber.
5. If you want catfish go to the Plum Creek inlet and throw out cutbait, liver, etc. The water is shallow, but there are fish there, usually have to wait until after dark.
6. If you get skunked go the the south ponds and throw out a worm and you will at least catch a small perch, dont get excited though. I have never caught a perch here greater than 6".

Hope this helps? Please post on how you did!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.