Boat??? Got pics up - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boat??? Got pics up

As you can tell I am new to the board but I have started fishing again and I LOVE it.* The ? I have is I have a chance to buy a boat but I don't know to much about the market the only other boat I've been around was my Grandpa's about 16 yrs ago.*
Here is the deal...
16 foot Pro Deep "V" 89 Tracker, live well,* walk through it was a "home Job"* needs some TLC, bilge pump, Johnson tracker motor (outboard) runs about 25 with 3 adult in it.* *Runs good FLOATS LOL what do you Guro's of the fishing world think it is worth
JH*

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bout-time
Default Re: Boat???

Need some pics.*
Also what kind of motor (size I see its a Johnson) and trailer does it have?* Right now this time of year is deffinately a buyers market.* Its getting on to winter and people will sell boats cheaper so as not to winterize them.* Also people tend to get rid of boats they dont use as much during winter and buy new in the spring.* I would seriously look around as I have been noticing alot more boats on Craigs list and around town for sale.

If you want some serious feedback on that perticular boat you need to post some pics and some more info on it.*
Trolling motor?* Does it fit your kind of fishing?*

Bout-Time
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish

I agree, we need more info.

I paid $4000 for a similar sized boat (7 years old when purchased) with a 40hp Johnson, but it was in excellent shape and had some extras like an electric trolling motor, fishfinder, bimini top but no walk through windshield. That boat did not need any TLC, though. So a shot in the dark may be between $2.5-3.5K depending on condition, motor, etc.?!?!
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

You may wanna check NADA out: http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...=24&p=0&f=5601

fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here are some pics hopefully they can help.* As far as the motor I don't know how to tell the hp.

Thanks
JH
Old 10-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Boat??? Got pics up

lower unit is missing a prety good chunk of skeg. not real critical in itself but it takes some abuse to bust it like that check the prop real good makesure it isnt bent up

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

The guy Im buying it from is a freind and he told me the guy he bought it from dropped the engine before he sold it to my friend about three yrs ago. It will need a new prop but I think I can get the boat for around 1000.00 so I figure that will free up a little $ for some TLC. And have it pretty well set up for under 2000.00. It does come with a electric trolling and boat cover. The only thing is I bet I can find one that doesn't need any TLC for a little more $. But If the whole boat owner thing doesn't pan out I don't want to out to much money. And if it does work out I can always upgrade.
THanks for all the info guys and keep it coming I still have ALOT to learn.
JH
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish

Thanks for posting the pics in a way that doesn't require us to click on all the URLs...

To determine the motor's HP, I would look for a serial number plate on the motor (often on the mounting plate) that may also have the motor's model number on it. My motor also has a "140" at the beginning of the serial number which indicates the horesepower but I don't know if older models had the HP in the serial number or not.

How is the windshield held up on the driver's side? It looks like the pole coming down from the windshield is aimed at the steering wheel or is just not attached?

Also, I noticed that the motor has what looks like a "Hydrotroll" plate on it, like this one:

I had one of these plates on a prior boat and I had a heckofa time with keeping the thing in the up position since it would never lock in place and would break the shear pin off. I went through countless shear pins and it never did work right even though I tried to tweak it (adjusting the spring and shear pin mechanism) many times. Seeing that it is in the down position makes me wonder if there is a broken shear pin or none at all. btw, I've read of others having problems with that plate as well -- see this link. So, just a minor thing but that is something you would have to deal with.

Overall, it looks like you have some work ahead to get the boat into good shape but if you are willing and able to do this at least you have the whole winter to work on it $1000 does not seem to be a bad price, but make sure there are no leaks! There are still times I wish I had my old boat which was smaller and easier to deal with, so the size of the boat you are looking at is a real plus IMHO...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bout-time

Well for $1000 and you have all winter to work on fixing it up the way you want it sounds like a good deal. If that is the style of boat that you want and it fits your fishing and boating needs I would say go for it.
By the Spring after you have put a winters worth of work into it you are going to be the envy of all your friends who will then want to go fishing with you.

Good Luck and let us know if you bought it or not. Then the fun will begin with what to fix first yadda yadda yadda. Im sure there will be lots of people on here to help with that as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in