Trade Aqua-view for Vex or Marcum - Page 4 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #31 (permalink)

Default Re: Trade Aqua-view for Vex or Marcum

IowaIce,
Now that was an appropriate message, good to see! I hear what you're saying as far as preferring one brand over another and the various reasons behind your opinion.
That said, we could go back and forth all day on Vexilar vs. Marcum or Aqua Vu vs. Marcum or others, (I happen to be a Vex man personally but am not going to knock Marcum, I just like the features, performance and track record of Vexilar better that's all).
When it comes to underwater cameras, I used to prefer other brands as well. I bought a Vista Cam over an Aqua Vu over ten years ago when they both came out. At the time, Vista Cam had a sturdier design and a better quality camera (that's probably why Gary Roach endorsed them back then).
However, now, I want one that shows me more than just a picture (they all do that). And sometimes, bigger isn't better. Some of the larger screens are not very clear and have alot of distortion (screens 5" and smaller have much crisper displays, because they often times have as many lines of resolution as the larger screens). On the Aqua Vus you can buy a magnifyer or for units that have a video out jack, can hook them up to a larger display of your choosing for more than one angler to use at a time.
I think that the unit that Slayer is selling provides the water temp which is nice in the spring and Fall. On other Aqua Vu units, you can buy ones that provide the cameras depth and the direction that the camera is facing (both relative and actual compass heading). I don't know of any other units in the same price ranges that can say the same. Additionally, they have the reflex lighting which is superior to infrared when using in low light conditions (Cabelas do not have this feature).
For what you paid for the Cabela's Macum unit for around $120, you got a great deal. However, the camera doesn't blend in when say panfish fishing since it isn't camoflaged as a fish (like Aqua vu, not that that really matters all that much). Personally, I use cameras to find structure primarily and rarely to fish with (that's where the Vex or Marcum shine).
So, what I'm saying is that each one has a given purpose and they all work well to the extent that the individual angler wishes to use them. Matching the intentions of the angler with the features of any particular unit is the key.
I can see why Slayer got upset when you made derogatory comments about a unit that will work very well for someone who wants a quality camera at a fair price. Again, it was nice to see you explain your position in an articulate manner, rather than what you initially did. Here's to your doing the latter in the future.
For the record, I to am stunned that Slayer has been fishing blind (without a flasher). When he gets one, look out!
Take care all and best of luck!
fishinbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

He doesn't fish without a flasher it is built into his alien sunglasses! This is why you never see him with out them!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #33 (permalink)

Hey Slayer,
AquaView after last weekend...PRICELESS!

Dropshot
dropshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in