Want to Buy .22 rifle - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Want to Buy .22 rifle

Before I go and buy a rifle I figured it'd be worth asking if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell.

Shoot me a PM and let me know what you have!

Thank you.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

armslist.com is a place to check too.
depending on your personal thoughts (local vs online), budsgunshop.com has some really great prices, even after you pay for the FFL transfer. some don't like buds, I've personally never had a bad experience with them.

If you buy from Gander Mtn they will often let you into their secret stash of ammo for firearm purchasers. When I bought my latest pistol I just happened to comment "I wish you had some .22lr in stock" and the dude said "oh, well, for gun buyers we do!" and he sold me 4 boxes of 500 count federal .22lr
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

I went on Gun Broker but they "flagged" my account and am awaiting moderator approval.

However, for the low end .22 rifles, paying shipping doesn't make sense. You might as well buy new.

I'll have to check out armslist.com and Buds.

Thanks New Guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've had a very mixed experience on gunbroker.

on a lower dollar, higher use item like a .22 I'd rather buy from someone I know or buy new. they strike me the same as buying a used bmw 3 series - they are often used hard, put away with little care and you just don't know what you're buying. from someone on here where you could see it and actually or sort of know them it'd be different.

lesser used/more cared for (expensive/collectible) firearms I have less of an issue buying used online. 9mm, .22 and .223 I shy away from. .223 especially since people are fond of tinkering with them and you've no clue what they have or havent screwed up.

in the event you want to try before you buy I have bolt action marlin, 10/22 and S&W ar style rifles that I'm always happy to go out and shoot and let you shoot too. none for sale.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

After my first visit I am much more of a fan of Armslist than gun broker.

My only gripe about Armslist is the lack of filters. You can't sort by price or date.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Semi-auto or bolt action for small game like squirrels and rabbits?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bolts are usually more accurate and with only one shot you become a better shooter... semi autos are more fun but you burn lots more ammo.
ghostman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ghostman, that was my understanding as well but I don't understand why bolt actions are more accurate. Maybe somebody can inform me.

As far as ammo goes, I'm a pretty cheap guy but burning through ammo when it's 10 cents a round isn't so bad compared to 50 cents to a dollar a round!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Ghostman, that was my understanding as well but I don't understand why bolt actions are more accurate. Maybe somebody can inform me.

As far as ammo goes, I'm a pretty cheap guy but burning through ammo when it's 10 cents a round isn't so bad compared to 50 cents to a dollar a round!
There are different reasons for this but the best is that a bolt is a sealed breech where all of the energy is applied down the barrel... an auto/semi auto uses some of the energy to operate the bolt to auto eject the spent cartridge.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

The other thing to consider is a bolt gun makes for a better shooter... a nice feature when teaching youngsters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in