Fly Fishing reel - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fly Fishing reel

I bought a reasonably decent fly rod from ARC last December for four bucks...and exactly at the time a fellow comes up to me and says that it's a sixty or eighty dollar rod and so forth and so on and it's a deal and I'll love the rod and that he gives fly fishing lessons and yada yada yada...and the next thing I know I'm getting the hustle for classes in casting, tying flies, stag camps and whopper trout in Montana...now it's June and the guy's number is disconnected, I want to buy a used reel and get this new thing going, but again I feel as if the bait and switch is on. Tried ebay for a used reel just to get started and I keep getting jacked beyond the ten-fifteen dollar cap I set for myself for a reel...now I'm putting it out for suggestions... Recommendations? Am I being too unrealistic? I'm looking for another new fishing hobby alternative...not a thousand dollar or more new attitude and lifestyle change to equipment, travel and catch and release on a twenty two cult like brainwashing...can a guy get a decent fly reel to learn and develop on for 10-20 bucks?

Ted
TEDEYE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Quicsilver171
Default Re: Fly Fishing reel

no buy a new reel that works for like 50 or less its cheap but it will work for the time being
Old 06-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

you might find one in that range if you shop around or find a good sale. i would just hit walmart and snag one of the scientific anglers reals they have should be under 50 bucks and will make a decent combo. remember your going to need line and some backing (might get away without the backing but i would still find something to fill the spool so the fly line does not get as kinked) and a few other odds and ends

good luck
and enjoy

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

what weight is the fly rod? Like Roadkill said the SA reels at walmart come with line and backing usually. other wise i've heard people like the Okuma Sierra as an entry level reel.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

My first rod and reel came from walmart, costed about $30 and came with line, backing, tippet, and a few pretty worthless flies. I used that combo for 4 years and caught some of my biggest and smallest fish on it, that rod worked great! Flies will cost a bit to get started since you don't have any. I suggest you ask here what flies to use when you have your rod and reel and a place picked out to go fish. If you don't get enough info here you can ask fly shops close to the rivers and usually get some good enough information since they are there to sell you flies after all

Reels, since you don't know if you'll like it or not, do not spend much money. Find one at walmart, sports authority, or anywhere, I'd just get one that's cheap.

Don't forget boots and waders, unless you don't mind tolerating pretty cold water. Get breathable waders unless you like to sweat.

There's a partner section on here, lots of guys fish alone and would be more than willing to show you the ropes.

It does take a little investment to get into but if you end up liking it then it's worth it, if not at least you tried.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can get a good cheapy. Its job is to hold line. Any of the sporting goods outlets will have 18-20 dollar reels with line.
frankfurter3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

PM Sent
monkies_butt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in