Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buy and Sell (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wanted-transom troller (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5892)

bergwsu 03-11-2006 07:43 PM

Wanted-transom troller

I'm looking for a used 35lb (or more) transom mounted trolling motor. It needs to be in good shape and I don't want to spend very much. I intend to use it as backup to help get me off Aurora (electric motors only) if I get caught in a wind storm.

Walking Eagle 03-11-2006 08:07 PM

Re: Wanted-transom troller

FishEyes,

Good luck and I hope you get your motor, but I wouldn't put much faith in a transom mounted motor getting you back in a wind storm. There is almost no way to steer it with the wind forcing the front end of the boat aside. A front mounted troller that pulls the boat through the water might have better luck.

I keep seeing a lot of trolling motors for sale cheap in the pawn shops, you might try some of those.

W. E.

bergwsu 03-11-2006 08:13 PM

Walking Eagle, I already have a 43lb bow mount but in a strong wind it barely moves my fairly heavy 16' boat. I'm thinking a little help from behind would get it going. Do you think I am right about that? Maybe I should be upgrading the bow mount instead but that's alot more $. Thanks for your help.

Walking Eagle 03-11-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishEyes
Walking Eagle, I already have a 43lb bow mount but in a strong wind it barely moves my fairly heavy 16' boat. I'm thinking a little help from behind would get it going. Do you think I am right about that? Maybe I should be upgrading the bow mount instead but that's alot more $. Thanks for your help.

I never heard of anybody trying that, but used as a helper for the bow mount it sounds like the transom mount should probably work. It's an interesting solution and bound to be a lot cheaper than beefing up the bow mount.

bergwsu 03-11-2006 08:44 PM

W.E.
If I could fire up the gas motor I wouldn't be thinking about this type of rig. The winds can come up pretty quickly at Aurora. It's $100 if one even starts the gas motor (even if it's in a situation where I could end up in the rocks) according to what the ranger told me. Putting on a second transom troller is pretty simple, pretty cheap, and* for the times I go to Aurora it seems like good insurance to me. Cheap that is, if it does work. It sounds like you think it would work and I think it could get me out of trouble.
Thanks for your help

roadkill 03-12-2006 12:59 AM

that should work, use the bowmount to stear and just get a little from the transom

bergwsu 03-12-2006 10:04 AM

thanks roadkill, I think so too

laker taker 03-13-2006 03:11 AM

I've seen walleye pros use the kicker to push and the bow mount electric to steer. I do it all the time contour trolling in wind, it's a great method that should work for fine for electrics too.