Starter fly gear - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Starter fly gear

Hey all... I've got an old fly rod I was recently given... family heirloom, but probably very out of date, maybe brittle.

I'm needing a starter set... A basic 7-9 ft. rod, basic reel, inexpensive line... just to get my "feet wet". More than likely I will try to get my chops up by fly fishing Huston Lake over near my home, practicing various casting techniques and such. It has been 15 years since I went fly fishing and I was pretty terrible at it then, so I'm basically starting from scratch here... I don't have alot in the ol' budget, but if I can find the right deal for a cheap start-up set, I'd love to get started... Watching fly fishing videos on youtube has got me itching... Found THIS little sale online, but I want to buy locally... I hate internet shopping.

Thanks in advance,

Owen
Opry99er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

To me, the most important part of fly fishing is the rod. If it has a noodly back bone your experience will be miserable. The reel does little more than hold the line when it's in your garage, and a plastic grocery bag will do for a vest until you get the vest or pack you like.

I have had good luck with those Okuma kits at Walmart. Something like this:

Amazon Amazon

Again, don't get a rod that you can't work with.
Djfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would disregard the reel being nothing more than a line holder. You will want and need a good drag if you go after any fish of size.
How much are you looking to spend?
smellzalilfishee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know, nothing outlandish... my dad spent $350 on his current setup, but he is a pro and I am a novice at best.

I am putting my wife through school right now and I'm pretty strapped... I could probably drop a bill or so... As I said, I am sort of hoping to find a used rig... I have grandpa's old fly rod which I could use while learning, then buy a nice package when she starts work. It'll be nice to add 30k to our household income in November.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I like that one on Amazon... Is 5 wt okay for these little streams up here like Clear Creek, Bear Creek, etc.. ? (Forgive my ignorance)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

The rod I have from grandpa is a Heddon Pal Mark I custom, #8325... I guess they were all individually numbered?

It's pretty nice... a little stiff, but nice. Should suffice for now. I just need to get a reel and some flies... If I have a knack for it, I may just start tying flies myself... Dad lives in KY now, but I'm sure he could give me some pointers over the phone. =)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cabelas has a Redington Crosswater Outfit Fly Combo for $119.00, might want to check that out when they open out here.
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like the Redington idea. Decent stuff for the price. Check out Farmingtonriver.com. They have used fly rods for decent prices..
smellzalilfishee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys... I fish once or twice a week, so I want something I ENJOY using... My spin rig is super comfortable and I love it... I tried using my uncle's Abu and UglyStik combo last week and it was very uncomfortable... Felt abnormal.... I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about... you get used to your rig and anything else feels just wrong...

That's what I'm looking for in a fly rig. Something relatively inexpensive but feels like "home," so to speak. My whole spinner setup cost me under $80... I have my 1960s Mitchell 304 CAP and my ultralight rod. Some say that's a mismatched set... I say "look in my creel..." =)

Owen

Last edited by Opry99er; 08-02-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellzalilfishee View Post
I would disregard the reel being nothing more than a line holder. You will want and need a good drag if you go after any fish of size.
How much are you looking to spend?

After over 20 years of fly fishing, teaching it and fly tier/teacher, I have to say that I have never needed drag on a reel. That's what fingers and palming are for. I've fished salt and fresh water, for LMBs, trout, pan fish, croaker, perch, mackerel, etc.

Still, I get that some people use it, but in the contest between rod and reel for price, don't cut corners the rod. You're much better off with a great rod and junky reel, than a so-so rod and medium grade reel.

Reddington is a good brand.
Djfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in