Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Nature visions pak shack?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  CaptainHookkk 
#1 ·
Searched the forum, and google and didnt see much about them. Wondering if anyone has used one, and if its worth the hundred bucks.
Kinda wondering how durable they are and if they handle well in the Colorado wind.
If not a good choice, any other shelter recommendations? I need one thats fairly small and compact(1 man) and aint too expensive.

thanks,

#3 ·
I have one also and yes it is a little small. When setting the hook you tend to hit the roof, so a small pole is a must. I fished in a gail last year and had to repair one of the attachment points on the chair when I got home. I would look for something a little more durable and a little larger if I had to do it again.

#5 ·
I was replying to this and accidently deleted what I had typed, so I'll keep this short...

I have both the Pac Shack single and 3 person (got them both on sale...

The single..

Pros

price - can't beat it a shelter for $100 or less...

room - not bad actually. I recently fished it w/ my 3 year old daughter inside, fish it w/ my German Shepard inside, and can drill 3 (close) holes inide when fishing by myself...

warm - It's definatly better than not having a shelter. It's black, warms up fast.

space - takes up very little room, mine fit easy in the back of my Subaru, fits even better in the back of my Jeep.

transporting - No problem. fits good in a small sled, or can be carried easily (has a shoulder strap..

Cons

wind - definatley... In the single, you can step on the flaps, and be ok. The sound of the wind blasting it, can be annoying still, but you can manage it. In the wind have everything ready for fishing, because once you set it up, you'll need your weight to hold it down

I should say, on very windy days the 3 person is pretty much not worth brining. It takes two people to hold it down, and setting up and taking it down can be hazardess...

durability - I really rough on my gear, and gave it a beating last year. The seams are showing it. Not enough to effect, but I'll probably be lucky if it lasts this season and next... Like I said though, I'm not carefull w/ my gear, had I been more so, it probably would hold a lot longer

I've looked at the Scout
http://www.clamcorp.com/fishtrap_scout.html

Nice, and probably won't be effected by wind. Also easy to transport. Probably even easier to move from spot to sppot once you're on the ice. However, at $230 it's way more expensive, and if you're going to spend that much, you may want to look at the Pro..
http://www.clamcorp.com/fishtrap_pro.html

The scout had less fishing room inside than the Pac Shack...

You may want to check these out (Eskimo Quickfishes)
http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/c...lters&i=059120FE4A4A4778A75FCC1A48D70E9D&fx=1

Sportsman's Warehouse carries the 3 person for about $180. It doesn't take up much room and, supposedly sets up quick and easy.

It is basically a shell, but that gives you the option of what chair you want, and plenty of options for drilling holes...

Good Luck!

Also, you should watch for used... could find a nice deal...

#8 ·
I got the ps1 last year as a gift like most other things if you use them{and the thing between your ears}they work out OK. Lets be honest there a lil flimsy could have better mat. for construction but for 75 bones (I payed 49.95 for mine gander last year) you cant beat it! just set the back into the wind use the slush from your holes to hold down floor flaps and your good to go! Ill blast two holes dead stick 1 jig the other! With a small prop tent heater youll bake in there use 2mins off for ten I'm cool with mine!! Be safe out there

#9 ·
I fish a lot by myself and fish places that often involve some type of walk in. For 10 years I sat on a bucket in the elements. I now have a Pak Shack, a 1-man Fish Trap Scout, and a Eskimo Quick Flip 3 (for when I have a "crowd"). The Pak Shack was first - they are flimsy and I have told the company that I think that they could upgrade a few pieces of hardware and charge $5-10 more and really have something. My problem has been that the feet have broken on uneven ice. When the feet break, the pole ends come loose. I will say that I have been very please with Nature Vision's customer service. They sent me new feet quickly when I contacted them.

The Fish Trap Scout (FTS) is outstanding, but it is a heavier rig than my original Jet Sled with a Pak Shack. When I'm fishing where I can get close to the ice with the truck, I will go with the Scout. Believe it or not though, I'm still using the Pak Shack when I have much of a pull to deal with. The key is to put its back to the wind and put an ice screw in for an anchor on the back flap. I have been in some bad wind with it and it blows and shakes, but it has taken in much better than I expected. Obviously, if you get out of the chair in strong wind, it will move around.

So my feelings are a little mixed. Realize what you are getting. If you have sat in the elements like I have, you get a lot of protection for the dollar. There are days when I might have stayed home because of the weather and the fact that I wasn't going to use the FTS due to the walk-in. But with the Pak Shack, I decided to go because it made conditions bearable. Last year I was recommending people stay away from them until Nature Vision beefed them up a little. This year, I would say it has a niche w/me when I am in my ultra light mode of operation. I would carry some wire and straps in case you need to make an in-field repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.