Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Best pop up shelter on the market?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  MarkE 
#1 ·
I have been saving up $$ and I am about ready to buy my shelter, out these four models, what is the best one? Also has anyone seen the Clam Base camp? Any input is welcomed. Thanks

Shappell 6000

Clam Basecamp 3-4man

Eskimo quick fish 3

Eastman ice cube 4man

#2 ·
i was in the same boat untill last night. i was gonna buy the shappell 6000. but i couldn't find a place to pick one up in town. i thought about ordering on line, but i wanted something in my hands right away! so i went down to sportsmans warehouse and picked up the quickfish 3. a little smaller, but still very awesome. i set it up in my back yard with no problem. i heard that the material on the eskimo is more durable than the shappell. but i don't know forsure. Trorton sportsman had apx 15-20 eskimos left last night. i'm not sure if they plan on ordering more or not? to answer question they are all about the same quality, i would get one in hand ASAP!!!

Jim

#3 ·
I bought a Clam Basecamp, and have used it once. I believe the clam has the most room of the big cube shelters--or maybe it was the tallest, can't remember.

You really have to anchor it down well, which i think is the case with all the big cube huts. Two/Three on the corners and then one/two of the sides depending on the wind. I went for the clam because I wanted the tallest cube--I am 6'6" and I can stand up fully in it, which is nice. It seems really durable, there are lots of pockets in it, it has four big windows. It sets up really fast. It blacks out really well. The slowest part is anchoring it down.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy, and it was worth the money. It got it on Redrock sporting goods and was able to get free shipping.

later

#4 ·
I don't know about the "best" but I've found my Quickfish 3 to be the most functional. It's not that heavy, it sets up and takes down relatively quickly, and it's reasonably durable for the price.

I had a Clam Fishtrap Yukon and I think it was built better but it was extremely heavy for one person to move around.

#5 ·
I've used a few in my day and I'll say its personal prefrence (?) do you need it portable, easy to set up, light weight? thats all you mine weighs almost 200lbs but I love it jangalang tried to talk me out of it and in to something more portable but its comfortable to catch fish in.

sit in a few at the stores imagine all your heaters and gear in there, poles on the ground in holders or what ever and feel it out

#6 ·
that guy said:
I don't know about the "best" but I've found my Quickfish 3 to be the most functional. It's not that heavy, it sets up and takes down relatively quickly, and it's reasonably durable for the price.

I had a Clam Fishtrap Yukon and I think it was built better but it was extremely heavy for one person to move around.
I too, had a Clam Yukon, and found it fairly impossible to move without a dogsled team!! I now have the Clam Pro and absolutely love it, but this is an oversized one-man. Sounds like you are looking for something bigger...those cubes sound cool, but you better be on a honey-hole, because it sounds like having to anchor all the time will limit your mobility...

#8 ·
I got a Clam Base Camp at BPS this year and I like it. Easy to set up / take down and is very light. Having it anchored is important, it flew on me once when I didn't have it anchored down at all. I don't have much to compare it to since it's my first ice hut, but I thought it was a good purchase.

#13 ·
I got a quickfish 2 last spring, used it twice so far, once in ridiculious wind and it worked great although I did have to re-grommet afterward because I didn't screw the ice screws in far enough. Last time I used it, only needed two screws in light wind. It's pretty dang cool fishing in the shelter, I gotta admit. I still like being out and seeing what's around me, but the more I'm in the shelter the more I like it.

#17 ·
I have two houses. One is a Eskimo Quick Flip II. Love it. The other is the 4-man Eastman's Ice Cube. Love it. I take the Ice Cube when I take someone with me and have help setting it up. Cuz it is a ***** setting it up by yourself in a stiff wind. If I go by myself I love the Eskimo. Sets up quick in the wind and no help is needed. It's large enuf to spread out and enjoy a sweet day of fishing. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.