Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

A possible solution to night closures at Pueblo

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  artco 
#1 ·
Ok folks, as I understand it, the new PROPOSED regulations will mean that access to the marinas between 11pm and 5 am will be cut off. You will be able to take your boat off the water (in case of storm) but will not be able to drive away. There will be a gate that keeps you from leaving the parking lots.

The purpose of this thread is not to go over the details of the new proposal. If you want those details, here is the website that tells you all you need to know. http://parks.state.co.us/NaturalResources/ParksResourceStewardship/AquaticNuisanceSpecies/

This thread is put out there for anyone who wants to help voice a possible solution to the res being closed. The deadline for input is February 13. IF we take the time to send in possible solutions perhaps one will take. The email address to send suggestions to is rob.billerbeck@state.co.us

My suggested solution is to reduce the number of inspectors by one for six hours per day. The main reson for the closure is because of funding. I feel the night shift (11p-5a) is a one man job. If they can reduce the daytime number of inspectors by one person for six hours it will mean slightly slower service during the day at one of the marinas but 24 hour capability at one marina. Surely they can figure out how to manipulate the schedule to afford 6 hours at night for one person.

This is just my idea. It may have flaws and may be impossible due to reasons I do not know. That being said, I threw it out there. If enough of us send in suggestions, one might work.

Please think about this and take the time to send in some input before it is too late.

Thanks.. Jason

See less See more
#3 ·
another thought i have is to close the south ramp from say 8pm to 6am and leave the north ramp opne 24/7. the south ramp has a gate beyond the parking lot that could be locked. that would still allow anyone not off the water by closing time to use the ramp to pull out but they wouldn't be able to leave the parking lot till after it opens

#6 ·
Close one ramp and use one or two people that normally work the day shift.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I went to Pueblo in a boat, there were usually about 3-5 guys working there by that little trailer. Only one or, at most two, guys would even come over and check the boat out when you got done on the lake.

Wtf were the other guys doing? It's not like they had two inspection lines going. The other two or three guys would just be sitting in lawn chairs ::)

Make one or two of those guys work the night shift.

#7 ·
For the short term, I'm liking the idea of closing one ramp overnight to save money. However, I think maybe there is a more cost effective and reliable way to keep the zebra mussels in Pueblo.

FYE ... It's not my idea but I think it could work.

I think they should set up soak/wash/spray stations at the exits of the ramp areas. One issue is that I do not know what reagent to use to destroy the mussel spawn. Bleach would be a knee-jerk guess but this would destroy aluminum boats (maybe in an explosive way) and trailers and off-gas chlorine gas (Cl2). Maybe it is something as simple as 35% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which will only give off oxygen (O2). Maybe a simple surfactant (soap) would kill the spawn. I do know that there are biodegradable soaps out there (I think simple green is one of them).

Anyway, I'm just wondering wtf happened to all the LOTTO money that was supposed to go to parks and recreation. My understanding was that about 50% of the money was to be returned as winnings, a relatively small amount was to be held out for advertising & infrastructure but the large balance of the money was to go to P & R ... and none was to EVER be allowed into the "general fund".

If we had the money we were promised, we could set up multiple automatic wash stations at each ramp (both for inbound boats and outbound) of every reservoir. The technology is known and relatively simple to set up. I think the company that builds all these automatic car washes is called "Mark 7".

Mac

#8 ·
There is no chemical in the wash water. It's simply heat that kills the veligers. It has to be at least 140 degrees. So the problem is, they can't let the general public operate the equipment, because the first time someone gets scalded, there will be a lawsuit.
Also, they can't leave just one person on the ramp through the night because of safety reasons. Also, based on last year's numbers, there would be many nights where you have two people working graveyard, and one boat happens to come off at 2 AM, then they just spent a couple hundred dollars to perform one inspection. Or worse yet, no one comes off at all and they spent that money for nothing at all. The reason they're planning on closing at night is because the cost analysis from last season shows that they spent a whole lot of money to have people hanging out at the ramps trying to keep each other awake.

#9 ·
that might be the case some nights but i came off the lake many times last summer when there was no room at the dock with boats launching and coming off at midnight or 2 am. they only need 2 people at the n.ramp and could have the so.ramp closed. i know several people who launch at 3:30am every time they come down so they can be finished by 8am and miss the crowds. if they charged $2.00 for each boat launched it would pay for the maning of the ramps and then some for that 6 hour time slot they are talking about

#11 ·
It was pretty obvious last year that they had no idea how to schedule inspectors. There is really no need to have 4 or 5 inspectors on weekdays.

I like the idea of closing the south pueblo ramp monday thru thursdays, but keeping the north ramp open with a minimal inspection staff (1 or 2).

Crk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.