Colorado Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Buddy ready to buy a new fishfinder in the next month.....

View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
fishlip

Default Re: Buddy ready to buy a new fishfinder in the next month.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLip
Definitely go with the external mount. Lowrance reccomends mounting the puck at least 3' away from the unit. I mounted mine on the back of the boat, so it has a clear "sight" all the way around it.
Why??

My buddy just has a 16' lund so not a lot of room and it would really suck if some one clipped it.
Supposedly interference is the reason for mounting the 3'. I think the biggest help is just getting it away from the windshield and dash. In Colorado we are already fishing around so many obstructions i.e. mountains, that you want as clear of a space as possible. I mounted mine by the transom, clear of most foot traffic, it hasn't been an issue so much as hitting it, but I have been told if you store your boat oustide with a cover on it, be sure to disconnect the puck and stow away. the hot cover on top of the puck can melt the puck plastic.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote

» Forum Search
» Insurance