Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

grasshoppers for bait?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tangler 
#1 ·
I have a bunch of them in my yard and garden. I'm thinking of freezing some for ice fishing bait. Anyone had any luck with this? WA

#5 ·
We've been considering ordering some of these: Fishers Choice Preserved Baits http://www.timbuktuoutdoors.com/fishing.html

Can't tell you how many times we've had frozen mealworms or 'jailbreaks' from the bait box!
Sure wish you didn't have to buy a whole can and have to use them fairly quick - 2 weeks. Guess you gotta catch a lotta fish or die trying! ;)

#6 ·
Those canned mealworms look worth trying fishingal. I caught 20 hoppers yesterday, they were easy to catch with a minnow net. Put them in my freezer double bagged. Now that I think about it I should have made 2 bags of 10 each and taken one bag per trip. Maybe I'll get more today. I will try them this winter and post a report on it if it works. WA

#7 ·
We just got an email back from Timbuktu Outdoors. Apparently we will be seeing them at BPS.

If you can't use all of 'em, just freeze the portion (suggested by mfr) and take the rest with you.

Now I'm dying of curiosity. Already have the itch on for ice fishing. Oh, but to no longer get mad about another frozen bait box again... now frozen is a good thing?!? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.