Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Perch to trade?

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  steveworsley 
#1 ·
#3 ·
He's trying to barter, which on the surface seems OK. It's not. This is a transaction for business and it's a violation of the fishing regs.
This kind of thing if gone unchecked can become a royal cluster F.
Fishing for commercial purposes is not something we or the DOW are prepared for.
I hope this "commercial fisherman", has his license and privilidges revoked.
Or, I can respond to his barter request and trade him some common sense and ethics for a minute of his time.

#4 ·
This is a delicate issue that can be approached from many angles. There are the obvious legal implications. I think it's too bad that big brother stands in the way of us exchanging goods. If I pay my fees to pursue my game or fish of choice and am fortunate enough to harvest I should be free to trade for what ever goods or services I desire or need. I am apposed to harvesting for the intent of selling. I believe that would destroy the foundation that our hunting and fishing heritage is built on. It would be great if we could enjoy a fair trade system.

#7 ·
11. DONATING FISH: You can donate edible parts of fish to like-license holders anywhere or to anyone at
the recipient’s home. Donor and recipient subject to bag and possession limits. A“like-license” is a Colorado
fishing license.

#13 ·
ice fisher said:
He's trying to barter, which on the surface seems OK. It's not. This is a transaction for business and it's a violation of the fishing regs.
Fishing for commercial purposes is not something we or the DOW are prepared for.
Or, I can respond to his barter request and trade him some common sense and ethics for a minute of his time.
why does it matter what he does with his fish, he stayed under the limit and thats all the DOW cares about, they dont care if he takes them home an throws them in the compost pile, cuddles up in bed with them or watever he does...... totally legal.......if this were illegal then there would be as issue w\ seling deer/elk meat\jerky..........

#14 ·
it is not leagle to sell any game meat. the meat you are talking about is not game meat. those animals are raised in pens for comreical sale. the only way he can trade leagle is if the person he is trading to has a valid fishing lincense. and if he trades for game meat, he needs to have a valid big game lincense for that kind of game

#17 ·
Uncle Shad said:
why does it matter what he does with his fish, he stayed under the limit and thats all the DOW cares about, they dont care if he takes them home an throws them in the compost pile...... totally legal.......
Wrong. The DOW does care what you do with fish or game you take. You can't "waste" it such as by throwing it in the compost pile. You can't give it to someone who isn't a license holder, and you can't sell it. Can you "barter" it? I don't believe the law permits that either.

They're "our fish", so we should all care. Think this "trader" observes the possession limits? I know where I would place my money..... ::)

#18 ·
I see absolutley no harm with what he is doing......He is most likely a license holder ( i doubt enyone would spend that much on fishing gear and not buy a licesne) and is trading for other goodies, bread and deer sausage. There is nothing in his post that suggests he is poaching.

#19 ·
I see his ad has been removed.........willing to bet someone called the tipline and this got taken care of. Wrong??? make your own judgement on that one but this is definitely not in line with the regulations and would be considered commercial fishing barter or not. Fish taken on a recreational license are intended for personal consumption only.

#20 ·
Uncle Shad said:
ice fisher said:
why does it matter what he does with his fish, he stayed under the limit and thats all the DOW cares about, they dont care if he takes them home an throws them in the compost pile, cuddles up in bed with them or watever he does...... totally legal.......if this were illegal then there would be as issue w\ seling deer/elk meat\jerky..........
I aggree with you there buddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.