Colorado Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Bass Flies

Thread: Bass Flies
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
rmalling

Default Bass Flies

So I threw some cork poppers at the lake across from my house after work tonight just to practice my casting, but nothing hit. I wasn't really trying for a fish, just chilling out. I ran into a spin fisherman who told me he has been slaying largemouth all week right across the street from my house! He had the pics on his phone to prove it. He said he was using "blue gill" colors on his lures, plastic worms, and other spin fisherman thingamajigs I know nothing about. He offered to lend me his other rod and reel so I too could enjoy these fish, but I couldn't do it. I WILL catch a largemouth on the long rod, soon 30 seconds from my house!

I also want it to be on a home tied fly. I fished for trout for a few years on store bought flies and haven't tied one of those on in over a year since I started tying. I want to cross over into Bass patterns, but I'm intimidated with the hair, lead eyes, etc. that I see on bass flies. I tie woolly buggers and that's as close as I have come to streamers.

So, what do you all suggest for effective largemouth patterns that are easy for a home tyer such as myself to get into? Clouser minnows look easy enough, but of course I have none of the materials (Am I about to embark on a new area of fly tying that will led to a need for more tying material storage, more $, and another addiction?) Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!
rmalling is offline   Reply With Quote

» Forum Search
» Insurance