Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Lucky Craft?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ninerrick 
#1 ·
This year I bought a few Pointer 78s and Pointer 100s and I’ve used them on Cherry Creek, Chatfield, Quincy, and Aurora with no bites. I’ve tried a stop and go retrieve, a fast retrieve, and a slow retrieve. I’ve tried dead sticking and trolling. I’ve used it in water between 12 feet and 1 foot. I’ve tossed it to shore; from shore to open water; and parallel to shore. Nothing seems to work. I do well with Rapalas (Husky Jerks, Countdowns, and Originals). So what’s the trick to triggering a strike with a Lucky Craft?

#2 ·
It might not be a trick, you could just be on the water at the wrong time... With the warmer season coming in use them a little more.

#3 ·
Sounds like your fishing the lure like a crankbait. Fish it like a jerkbait. Don't reel it in, jerk it in with pauses and reel up the slack as you go. Vary the pauses.

#4 ·
kirbydog said:
Sounds like your fishing the lure like a crankbait. Fish it like a jerkbait. Don't reel it in, jerk it in with pauses and reel up the slack as you go. Vary the pauses.
I just got some the other day, so when i cast is out do i jerk it in right away, or do i reel it first till it goes down than jerk? Just wondering cause i mainly use jigs or rattletraps and with those i usually just cast and reel.

#7 ·
Kirbydog is right on the money on this one! I don't fish with Lucky Craft baits due to the cost, but I do fish other jerkbaits (suspending rogues, x-raps, husky jerks) a lot. Fishing a jerkbait like a crankbait may work ok in warmer water but this time of year hard jerks with long pauses have been far more effective for me.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been fishing the Lucky Crafts like a Husky Jerk, and I’ve been catching fish on the Husky Jerks. I’ll keep throwing / jerking the Lucky Craft until I figure it out.

What are your most productive retrieves? My most productive retrieves with a Husky Jerk are:

cast; five quick reels (to get it down); three quick jerks; pause one to five seconds; three to five quick reels; three quick jerks; pause one to five seconds. . .

or

cast; five quick reels (to get it down); pause one to five seconds; three to five quick reels; pause one to five seconds. . .

or

cast with the wind and drift towards the lure; five quick reels (to get it down); pause one to five seconds; reel up the slack; three quick jerks; reel up the slack; three quick jerks; reel up the slack. . .

#12 ·
Go'n' Fish'n' said:
Thanks for the replies.  I’ve been fishing the Lucky Crafts like a Husky Jerk, and I’ve been catching fish on the Husky Jerks.  I’ll keep throwing / jerking the Lucky Craft until I figure it out. 

What are your most productive retrieves?  My most productive retrieves with a Husky Jerk are:

cast; five quick reels (to get it down); three quick jerks; pause one to five seconds; three to five quick reels; three quick jerks; pause one to five seconds. . .

or

cast; five quick reels (to get it down); pause one to five seconds; three to five quick reels; pause one to five seconds. . .

or

cast with the wind and drift towards the lure; five quick reels (to get it down); pause one to five seconds; reel up the slack; three quick jerks; reel up the slack; three quick jerks; reel up the slack. . .
Geez, this fishing is getting way to complicated. I think the most productive retrieve it to throw out a worm, open a can of beer and retrieve when the fish bites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.