Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Minnkota Terrova with Ipilot versus Minnkota V2 with Ipilot???

15K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Oyey 
#1 ·
After this last Saturday on Pueblo I am sold its all about boat control and this makes it light years easier and makes for more accuracy and fishing time. I know the foot pedal doesnt work with Ipilot on the V2 but it does on the Terrova. There is basically a $300 difference between the two models so it isnt just the foot pedal. The internal guts and specs arent really spelled out on the Minnkota website. Has anybody done research and talked to anyone and have any thoughts on what makes the Terrova that much more expensive than the V2? I know am going to pull the trigger on one of them this week so any input would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
From what I recall the Terrova motor is a bit beefier, deployment and stowing is easier on the Terrova. You already mentioned it but the V2 foot pedal becomes useless with IPilot. If the IPilot remote ever went south on a fishing trip, you'd be hosed.

Cant do a comparison of the two as I went from MotorGuide to Minnkota.

#3 ·
setthehook said:
From what I recall the Terrova motor is a bit beefier, deployment and stowing is easier on the Terrova. You already mentioned it but the V2 foot pedal becomes useless with IPilot. If the IPilot remote ever went south on a fishing trip, you'd be hosed.

Cant do a comparison of the two as I went from MotorGuide to Minnkota.
^^^This. That is about all I really know about the difference as well. The Terrova deploys much easier in my opinion - it's a noticeable difference. And Setthehook makes a great point about the value of having the foot pedal, too.

The i-Pilot is worth its weight in gold IMO.

#4 ·
I had a powerdrive before my Terrova. Mine was not the V2, so I can't be sure about this, but the main thing I hated about the powerdrive was the deployment and storage mechanism. The Terrova deploys and stores way easier. The other thing my old motor didn't have was autopilot on the footpedal (had to push a button by hand on the head). The terrova also has a battery test gauge on the motor showing how much battery you have left. The Terrova also is heavier duty. Those are the differences I found, for what it is worth, given mine was not the V2.

All that said, not having foot control would be a deal breaker for me because frankly, you need it. at times to avoid stopping fishing to move. What I really love about the iPilot is the ability to work a piece of structure...not just a part of it, using the memory and spot lock. When you use the memory to record a track (up to a mile) you can go around a sunken point all the while recording the track. Then, when you are done, you set it to go back on the same track to your starting point. If you have to use your hands to record the initial track it would be kind of a pain. You can also spot lock along the track to work individual spots.

I can't say enough about the motor, and if you can afford to drop the extra $300, do it for sure. It is a big investment that should last for a long time, and if you fish a lot, I think the extra $300 is a no brainer and worth every penny to be able to use the footpedal.

#7 ·
It all depends on what your want and wishes are. I have the V2 and have not had a single problem not having the foot control, I actually prefer the remote over the foot control. I hook the remote on my belt loop and if I'm sitting I lay it in my lap, if standing it's like a TV remote that I know the buttons just by feel. I do carry all the old part so if the I-Pilot does stop working I can convert it back to the foot control without any problem but about a half hour lost fishing time.

#8 ·
TthePikester said:
It all depends on what your want and wishes are. I have the V2 and have not had a single problem not having the foot control, I actually prefer the remote over the foot control. I hook the remote on my belt loop and if I'm sitting I lay it in my lap, if standing it's like a TV remote that I know the buttons just by feel. I do carry all the old part so if the I-Pilot does stop working I can convert it back to the foot control without any problem but about a half hour lost fishing time.
good info

#9 ·
The one I have for the moment is the V2 and I have to say the foot controls were not as bad as I thought they'd be. Tinkered around with the wireless off the water for the first time the other day in the garage, and it is on my to do list next time I'm out.

#11 ·
I have a powerdrive, it's not the V2 and only has co-pilot so not exactly the comparison you are looking for........but I have also been around the terrova on others' boats and can say that I will be spending the extra for the terrova when I upgrade. I want the i-pilot badly - if not this season, then next for sure! 8)

As was mentioned, deployment of the terrova is a bit easier and having a foot pedal that works is a good thing; however MY BIGGEST REASON for choosing the terrova over a V2 is because it's a more powerful motor. My PD runs on a 24v system and I really don't want to go to 36v, but I can add 10# thrust (80# vs 70# or a 14+% increase :eek:) just by going with the terrova. Seems like a much better unit all around........ and what's $300 in the name of zbetter fishing?

#12 ·
Just buy the Terrova dummy. Grab me one too at the same time, my birthdays comin up. I'll take the 54/101. The pedal's a must, the locks GREAT but when I'm cruisin shores with likes of Donald and Kenny we need to look and react. We need to control our path. We take turns on the pedal. N while you're at it, grab me one of those Hummingbird side imaging thingies too.

#13 ·
colonative said:
Just buy the Terrova dummy. Grab me one too at the same time, my birthdays comin up. I'll take the 54/101. The pedal's a must, the locks GREAT but when I'm cruisin shores with likes of Donald and Kenny we need to look and react. We need to control our path. We take turns on the pedal. N while you're at it, grab me one of those Hummingbird side imaging thingies too.
WELL SAID!!

#14 ·
Good info. I'm also in the market for a new trolling motor and you folks just sold me on the Terrova. BTW, Minn Kota currently has a mail in rebate on the Terrova (but not on the Power Drive V2), which helps to close the price gap.

#16 ·
I had both of them and if ur lazy like me, ull want the Terova because its easier to stoll away. My foot petal is collecting dust now. With the wireless terova, just hit the anchor button and auto pilot feature and you can do as you wish in the wind or when ur fighting a fish. I fish with my 8 yr ole boy all the time and I must say this ipilot is one of the best things I ever purchased for my fishing addiction. Just make sure you get the 80lb thrust if possible. I run it a 17' deep V and it holds like a charm in 20mph winds. Make sure you spend the extra money on 2 good batteries, they will last strong all day long. More time for fishing and less time trying to control the boat. Seriously.... Get it and you won't be disappointed.

#17 ·
I know this is retarded before I ask it, but why not just anchor?

I know you guys are familiar with the water you fish. If you are on a new spot, and have no idea what is up, then spot lock makes sense to me. Same on your home lake, but no idea what is up, like early spring and need to check a lot of stuff. But once you get dialed, why not just double anchor, cinch in, and fish the spot in silence? I feel positive you will get bigger bites doing this.

SS (stands for Slow and Stupid)

#18 ·
Shaun Solomon said:
I've fished at least 20 times out of Batman's boat since he got his Terrova...best thing since sliced bread. See a stack of fish...hit spot lock and fish...works great.

In sixty feet of water you'd need at least 180 feet of anchor rope in calm weather to anchor securely...more likely 300 hundred feet plus chain with any chop at all. To double anchor...double that... You also need to plan where you want to drop the anchor...going to have to anchor upwind of the stack and hope the anchor catches before you drift back over the spot...Even in thirty feet of water you'd want a minimum of 90 feet of rope and more likely 150 feet. You aren't nearly as accurate with the anchor...and you're dropping one or two anchors and possibly dragging them through right where you want to fish. Not counting the pain in the butt of dropping and positioning anchors every time you mark a stack...

It's way...way...way more efficient. Kinda like how a horse and buggy will get you to where you're going...but not nearly as well as a Toyota Tundra.

I'm also under the impression that fish get used to their surroundings. It's like living next to the railroad tracks...Over time you get used to the noise and don't need to turn the television up every time a train goes by. Fish get used to boat traffic...I've caught loads of walleyes using my toon just off the jet ski beach at Pueblo...right in the chop they're churning up...also, I've caught a bunch of wipers trolling just behind the prop wash of the outboard in eight to ten feet of water ...

#19 ·
Shaun Solomon said:
I'm strait lazy when it comes to a traditional anchor. I can't imagine anchoring up in 100 foot deep water with a traditional anchor. Plus, I don't want to lose the bigguns in the damn anchor rope! Also, I get more fishing time because I'm not placing and pulling an anchor all day. It is freaking sweet to just hit the little button and be locked down. I already can't remember what it was like before the i-Pilot. I hit spot lock for a bunch of reasons - fishing spot, eat a sandwich, help my son take a leak in the boat.

#20 ·
Shaun Solomon said:

I know you guys are familiar with the water you fish. If you are on a new spot, and have no idea what is up, then spot lock makes sense to me. Same on your home lake, but no idea what is up, like early spring and need to check a lot of stuff. But once you get dialed, why not just double anchor, cinch in, and fish the spot in silence? I feel positive you will get bigger bites doing this.

SS (stands for Slow and Stupid)
an anchor causes a comotion being dropped on top of fish which has to be as disturbing as a little rotation of a motor... in addition, I am pretty sure the huge shadow of a boat is going to be as disruptive as anything...

Further when you are using the ipilot for walleye fishing, all of Hobie's points are valid... when you are structure fishing for say, bass or pike, in 6-15 FOW, you may be working a piece of structure that is a few hundred feet long, like a point, where you fish both sides... In this case, I like to fish for 20-30 casts and move... The anchor for my 19' boat is rather heavy and taking it out and putting it back 8-10 times in the hour or so I want to fish said piece of structure is torture.

The other thing that keeps getting overlooked is the tracking recording mechanism. This feature makes moving along the same track over and over possible.. While I know you prefer bass to walleye, don't just assume it means trolling on that track... it can also be used at a super slow rate where you can cast along the track without ever paying attention to trolling motor.

While great fishing can be done without any of these functions, if a Terrova is attainable, it is an extremely valuable fishing tool for nearly every type of boat fishing imaginable.

#23 ·
Yeah, those are valid points. It is a bi*ch to anchor in deep water. But I think lazy is not an excuse not to anchor in less than 40fow. Lakers are the main reason I could think to get that spotlock feature, or just quick checking a bunch of spots. If you want to get the 100% most out of a spot with plastics or live bait, anchor.

Doobs, you are right, anchors do bust up a spot. But you don't anchor if you don't have complete confidence in a spot, and intend to stay a while. It is a matter of history. If you are rolling up on something for the first time, it is hard to cinch in on it and have that confidence. But once you cinch in, chill out, look at the sky, read a book, eat a sandwich, whatever. The fish will chill out in less than 20 minutes if they are neutral, and quicker if they are positive.

As far as catching wipers in propwash goes, you bet, but they are not a fish that relates to structure, so anchoring has limited applications unless you know a school is making a circuit and you are willing to weather the dead time. Smaller lakes that can be a great idea, but I would not be real keen on it personally. Everyone is different I guess. Cheers fellas.

SS

#24 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies...I just needed a push in the right (Terrova) direction...

And as for physical anchoring...I can think of a bunch of spots where I have made Dr Depth lake maps and I can spot lock in deep water and pitch spoons/jigs/countdowns to deep water humps and edges and fish them in relative obsurity to the fish that may or may not be there...it just opens a whole new realm of boat control where I would of now gotten upwind of the target and backtrolled treading water to cast to spot and had to fight with boat control...and this doesnt even touch being able to do a track along the depths and cast back into shore/structure while moving at few tenths of a mile an hour...this would be a godsend for trollers...staying on a roadbed or contour...just like running a milk route in a delivery truck...if you troll...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.