Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

BPS Employees and the Curious Minds

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  loopknot 
#1 ·
In August of 2010 I purchased a Shimano Stella from BPS. Along with this I purchased a $100 warranty that would cover the reel free of charge in case of defects. Exactly 28 days ago I took the Stella in along with the reciept. They honored the warranty and the manager said he would get another reel which was in stock from another store. It's been 4 weeks and still nothing.... I'm getting tired of getting transfered back and forth on the phone. Frankly I'm sick and tired of having to drive this issue with the manager/Denver managers. Is there a higher power that I can contact? Does it really take +4 weeks for the transfer? Makes me feel like I'm on the **** list after theyve taken my money. Wtf.... They will never get another high dollar purchase from me again. Thank god Cabelas is coming in town soon!

End of rant, I feel better now lol

#2 ·
wtf!!! Thanks for the heads up.... 90% of the time I shop there I feel like I should have went somewhere else. At least at Gander and Sportsmans the guys that work in the fishing department actually ask you if you need help with anything. Most of the time at BPS I either see the guys back there shooting the breeze with each other, or there's no one around.

Hope they take care of this and do something for all the time and effort you've had to put into something that they should have taken care of in at most a day. Paying for 100 dollar warranty I don't care if the reel is in Alaska they should have had it overnighted!

Keep us updated.

#4 ·
ZEBCO said:
Man that is a nice reel.
What was wrong w/ it?
It's starting to knock when you turn the handle. It's not bad but if I spent that kind of money on a warranty, I expect to get it replaced if anything out of the ordinary is wrong. The knock is alot quiter than most reels out of the box but its a Stella, and I expect perfection.

Eric, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. I hear you about the poor BPS customer service sometimes. IMO SW by far has the best customer service followed by GM. The other week I purchased another high end reel from SW and the employee allowed me to take all of the reels out the try before I bought it. He actually offered this to me. He knows who he is, I'm sure you know him very well, Eric. It's like buying a fine gun, you need to choose the one which has the best wood stock.

#5 ·
Guess you've never been to the SW store in CS. Ever since the bankruptcy they seem to be carrying a minimum of inventory which means they are out of stuff alot.

On the other hand, I have never had a problem with BPS regarding a return. I can't wait for them to open their store on the north end of town.

#6 ·
I feel your pain, Fisher32. I get treated like crap often in that store. For example, I recently purchased an 1158 Humminbird fish finder from BPS. Once I was home and could look at the finder and the Ram mount together, it was obvious that it wasn't going to fit exactly the way I wanted. I went back to BPS the very next day to exchange it. Right away, the lady calls a manager which is understandable due to the dollar amount. Well, the manager was a prick about it - no other way to put it. First, he acted like I was trying to pull a fast one on them - remember, all I did was take the screen out to check the fit. Plus, I was returning it the next day. Second, once I explained the fit issue to the manager, he then started saying - you don't need to get an attitude, I'm just trying to help. I NEVER even had an attitude until homeboy started sweating me like I was trying to get over. This is typical in my experience at BPS. The managers always seem to have a chip on their shoulder. It's like my business is not important at all. Seems like BPS is too big for their own good. Maybe they don't need my business - we'll see. C'mon Cabelas!!!

#7 ·
I was in there a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to check out a lowarnce handheld gps that supports naviaonics chip. the salesman comes over and tells me thats not the best one and points to a garmin as being the best. I told well it doesnt support navionic and he tells me neither does the lowarnace Im trying to look at, i dropped the fricking thing on the counter and looked him in the eye an told him he does know what the hell he is talking about and walked away.....laughing...but pissed....just leave me alone idiot!!!

#8 ·
My best guess it that the issue is with Shimano. Really, you are better off in the case of defective gear to go straight to the manufacturer unless it is explicit that there will be a direct across the counter swap.

Shimano is S-L-O-W at times. It is what it is. If there was anything better I would use it, but I am stuck using the product because of its vast superiority.

SS

#10 ·
Have read a ton of complients like this on BBC. Sounds like the norm anymore at BPS.
I'm with Shown though... Even if it was out of warranty from Shimano I would have sent it to them. It's like $25 and normally they don't even charge you for parts unless the reel was really abused.
You could sent that reel to shimano over 3 times for the price you paid for the warranty at BPS.

#11 ·
Boondock said:
Have read a ton of complients like this on BBC. Sounds like the norm anymore at BPS.
I'm with Shown though... Even if it was out of warranty from Shimano I would have sent it to them. It's like $25 and normally they don't even charge you for parts unless the reel was really abused.
You could sent that reel to shimano over 3 times for the price you paid for the warranty at BPS.
thanks, ill keep that in mind on the next one.

#14 ·
Not to sound like a pot stirrer, but Shimano doesn't do over the counter exchanges any more. They make it very difficult for stores. Now the warranty is a whole different thing. Sounds like at the very least, they should have given you a credit for the amount you paid for it. At Gander we sell a service plan that is about 10% of the purchase price, its a full replacement plan, or at minimum the price you paid for the product. You may want to read the warranty to see specifically what it covers and how they reimburse.

The knocking is most likely the o-ring seal at the base of the frame where carrier/winder. I had the same problem with a Symetre before. It's actually pretty easy to fix. I'm working Saturday from 1 to close at Gander. If you have it or can get it back, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Good luck either way. It does suck to get bad service. I hope they make it right for you. You can always ask for the corporate number, or the district manager's number.

#17 ·
After talking to the 4th different manager, it seems like the reel is finally going to get turboed (transfered). I can’t believe how incompetent some of these so called managers are. I guess it all depends on who you deal with. Thank you Brent (the hunting manager of all things).

#18 ·
BPS Denver was out of hudds and when I asked they said they were getting some from a Cali store. Unfortunately, they have to go back to Springfield distribution center to get moved to another store. I think it took 3-4 weeks but the dude did call me when they arrived..

#19 ·
I shop at both Gander and BPS and you for sure get much better service at Gander both in terms of friendly people and knowledge...especially knowledge...its not even close...some of the people at BPS in the fishing department seem to not fish I guess. I once had a BPS employee in their optics department tell me I was cheap for buying a pair of Leupold binoculars. I guess cause i didn't want the swarovski ones he wanted me to buy. lol. BPS does have a better selection of lures but whatever. i shop at gander more and more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.