Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

need help with tire pressure on boat

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  kirbydog 
#1 ·
got some new tires size 530x12c . manual says recommended cold tire inflation
is 80 psi . ain't that to much air because when the tire gets hot don't it expand more. can someone tell me the right pressure for it.

530x12c
load range c
capacity 1045 pounds of load
4 ply

#5 ·
I've been trailering a boat both in state and alot of other states for 30+ years now-probably do about 10,000 miles a year on average. And I always drive the speed limit unless road conditions are poor.

I go 70-75MPH all the time. And I've never had a problem. I've had one flat in all those years.

I change out tires as soon as the tread looks worn-about every two years.

So what gives with the speed rating? And by the way, I have trailered boats passing me on most every trip-I'm guessing they're going 80+.

#10 ·
I'm not really sure about boats but I know my RV and Truck tires are kept at the vehicle/trailer stated pressure, regardless of what the tire states. I've always exceeded the life of any tire I had put on so take it for what it's worth. If it were me, I would try to ask whomever makes the trailer/boat and see what they recommend.

All the best.

#12 ·
First, Boats don't have tires.
But with trailer tires ALWAYS follow whats stamped on the tire, never under inflate trailer tires as this is one of the main causes of blow outs.
those little bitty 12" tires are really cranking at 65mph, think if the sidewall is squatting a little bit, that little tire needs to make 1700+ revs per mile at a mile a minute, thats a lot of flexing rubber, lots a heat.
pump those tires to the max called out.
just my $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.