Yvette's Birthday - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yvette's Birthday

We try and take a trip on our birthdays every year. This year our destination was Sedona. It was a quick trip, only seven days, six nights, but we made the most of our time and had a blast.

We left the house at 6AM last Wednesday and headed for Sante Fe. We wanted to see the miraculous staircase and having missed it on two previous occasions, we hoped our luck would be better this time. It was and what a beautiful piece of work.

We messed around and checked out the shops for the next couple of hours and then headed for Albuquerque. The plan was to get a room and then ride White Mesa the following morning. Well, who needs a plan. Since it was only 3:30, I talked Yvette into riding that afternoon. After all, it was only a 12 mile ride and shouldn't have taken more than two and a half hours. "Shouldn't have" being the operative words.

White Mesa is a geological marvel. A giant gypsum dome that collapsed upon itself. Very beautiful.

The Dragon's Back.

Yvette all smiles after some fun downhill..

Yvette not smiling quite as much with some hike and climb a bike.

The valley and ridge lines below where we got lost.

Yep..we got lost and that ride went from 12 miles to 16 miles with another four or five of hike a bike, pushing up cliffed out trails and having to retreat. At one point as it was getting dark, Yvette said. "Let's leave our bikes and just climb out. But just before dark we found the right trail and with a full moon and a gypsum white trail, we rode back to the car in the dark. Only five and a half hours instead of that two and a half I'd promised her.

Now a smart man would have driven to the nearest hotel and checked his wife into a room. And I really knew I should have done that as I missed the last hotel heading out of Albuquerque, looked at my wife and commented. "No problem. It's only an hour to Grant". That was one long hour. We checked in at 11 PM.

Well, the next morning we were up early and back on the road by 7. We had planned to spend that night at a lake where I could catch some fish. At least that was my plan. And having saved a day by riding White Mesa the previous day/night. I was feeling pretty good about how the itinerary was playing out. Here, I have to thank Boon for lending me a rod and a reel. Without them, I probably wouldn't have landed a fish. We spent about 12 hours at the lake and I got to fish for eight hours or so. Lesson number two. A tired wife that doesn't fish also doesn't want to hang out by the car while her husband goes off fishing on her birthday vacation. But, I ended up catching four of these. A first for me. They truly are great fish.

Anyway, instead of camping we went back to Grant and got a room at 10 PM.

Off to Sedona by 6 AM. Man what a beautiful place. It's as if Zion, the Grand Canyon and Moab had all converged in one place. We spent three days riding our bikes and hiking in Sedona. There's so much great single track there. I could live in Sedona. We biked for three or four hours every morning and hiked in the afternoons.

We also hit Slide Rock. What a place to go cool down in the afternoon.

I said I'd jump if she took the pic..She said she got it.

Well, after three days in Sedona, we got up at 4AM and headed for the Grand Canyon. It was a last minute plan. Yvette wanted to take the 12 mile hike down the Bright Angel Trail to Indian Gardens and Plateau Point. It was a great hike. Our first time below the rim.

Back at the top.

The hike took six and a half hours and we hit the road for Farmington..I had planned on doing some fishing...but had wised up. We spent the night and then took a quick ride at six AM on the Alien Trail this morning before heading on home..

Tired..But we both had a fantastic time.

Last edited by hobiecat; 05-21-2014 at 09:37 AM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

SUPERB!!! Crazy pace you keep, Hobie! Sweet musky.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

unreal, hobie... Great trip, great pix, great muskie, all around great....

You are lucky to have one another, and I pray my wife and I stay as vibrant and in-love as you two seem to be.

Bravo!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Happy bday! Really nice fish! And nice pics too. Looks like a great time (except for the lost bike trail).
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. It was a great time.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Looks awesome Dave! No problem on helping out, my pleasure. Sorry you had to wait for me when Yvette was chilling. No phone service
Some good views for sure.
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

way cool hobie. looks like a great trip.
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Looks awesome Dave! No problem on helping out, my pleasure. Sorry you had to wait for me when Yvette was chilling. No phone service
Some good views for sure.
Shoot, I didn't mind waiting at all. Would have liked to have kept on waiting/fishing for half the next day.. My fault. I should have set up camp for her and unpacked her bike. She was over it once we had a room. Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just saw on the news that Oak Creek Canyon is on fire in Sedona. 0% contained. It started the day after we left. That's right next to the natural water slide area..Slide Rock. Sorry to hear it.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Wildfir...260032651.html
Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looks like a fun trip!! I've been to Sedona literally hundreds of times! I spent about 16 years of my life about 30 miles south in Camp Verde. We would rarekly hit slide rock because of the polution!! They close it during certain times of the year due to all the bacteria!! We would always hit Grasshopper point instead.

Question hobie... You ever been to Havasupai Indian Reservation??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in