Lake mac info? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake mac info?

I'm thinking of going on a father son camping trip, and kind of wanted to see what lake Mac was like.... Never been there before. I heard there's lots of beaches, so I figure it'd be a fun place. Any advice on where to camp or whatever? I know it gets mad crowded on weekends... So Fishing won't be the main focus but I'm gonna wet a line.... Just want to go out with the kiddo and let the wife have a ladies night out. If I do this I'll probably go Saturday afternoon till Sunday morning. Thanks in advance.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I practically own the lake.....PM sent.
golden rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would camp either sandy beach or cedar view area. I usually have good luck from shore on cedar views side of otter creek right on the point and about 200 yards to the left of that point all the way to where the trees start. I have caught pike, walleye, channels, bullheads, and sandies from there all last month. Just be careful with the wind and make sure your tent is anchored down very well and atleast 20 feet from the water. I have personally witnessed my tent flooding and coming un-anchored and blowing across the beach at night with me in it, I didn't think It was possible for a tent to blow away with not only 1 person but 2 people in it. There are also campgrounds down at northshore and Lemoyne area but I prefer to stay away from the crowds. Your best bet would probably be cedar view area this time of year on a weekend, unless of course you don't mind tons of people. Lake mac is in full effect right now and is packed every weekend for the next couple months, I was gonna go up last weekend on a whim but both vogles lodge and lure and the pleasant view motel were fully booked. Both those places, especially pleasant view, usually have plenty of rooms open I guess there were a couple big groups of walleye fisherman renting all the rooms is what I was told.

and golden rod I don't remember giving that lake too you
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dave,

The fishing for wiper is good right now at Big Mac. If you want to camp at the lake, I suggest Martin Bay, you can pitch a tent close to the water and you can either fish there or for better success, walk to the dam with a spinning rod with 6 or 8 inches rapala, keep casting out and hold on. You can also pitch a tent on the grass at Lake Ogalalla camp ground and take a 5 minutes drive to Big Mac. Either way good luck.
lovetofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden rod View Post
I practically own the lake.....PM sent.
I know somebody that actually has the property deed for the lake...wannabees...cripez...
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would love some advice/tips as well. I'm reluctantly being dragged there late July.
I've always wanted to try there, but at a different time...
We're camping with a group, so spot is already picked...

My questions.. (pms would be great!)
First, I know it's late but would love to fish for Wipers or White Bass (preferably during the day). Actually, I'd be happy targeting anything other than Cats. (Nothing against whiskered fish, but that's what others camping with us will be after) Bass, Crappie, Trout etc...
Where is a good beach to take the kids? Or pretty much anywhere on the lake?
Would it be worth bringing boogie boards? (I know weather depending) Small waves would be fine..
Then, I'll probably love, I mean I wouldn't mind getting away. So any other close lakes to try?
Also, any good restaurants?
Thanks

Also, Dave I expect you to hit me up with some info when you get back... Good luck & have a great trip
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sat afternonn to Sun morning about three hours each way in the car Junior will have a blast
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Dennis "golden rod" man is indeed the person to learn from. He has been going there
since he was thirteen, learning the ropes from Cus D'Amato, ready to take on all wipers.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker tom View Post
Sat afternonn to Sun morning about three hours each way in the car Junior will have a blast
We will be leaving right before naptime. :-D

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

About anywhere on the North Side is nice for swimming, especially the east end.
If you want to get away from the North side crowds you mike take a look at Eagle Canyon on the south.
http://www.eagle-canyon.com/lake-mcconaughy-nebraska

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in