Ice no more... help!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice no more... help!!!

I'm so far away from ice fishing that it looks like my flasher/fishfinder won't ever get cold again. Lowrance x67c

BUT.... I know you can use the ice ducer in open water... Had this discussion before. I'm just wondering what to expect display-wise on a boat. With a traditional fish finder and open-water transducer, you see the depths, bait balls, arches for fish, etc. If I do not buy a regular transducer, will my view be just the same as when ice fishing while moving around (slowly) in a boat? Depths and fish lines moving into and out of the cone? Should I try to match my ping speed (somehow) with my trolling motor speed?

I'm very ignorant when it comes to this stuff, so forgive me.

Last edited by Opry99er; 07-19-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Opry99er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Put it on the regular screen turn the ping speed up to 100...the floating transducer will work when stationary or drifting...not well when moving faster...buy the boat transducer or maybe a suction cup kit to attach the ice one (might work)...hobie may have an idea since i think he uses his ice ducer on his toon...
Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=223714.0
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

owen search

using x67 lowrance in a boat
Old 07-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Works just fine, used it on my Standley boat, then got an open water ducer. Before the open water ducer I just zipped tied the ice ducer to the boat or motor, worked fine. Granted the boat didn't go over 15mph, but it still worked the same. Only reason I got the open water ducer was to make it easier to go from ice to the boat. Simply unplug a cable rather than my kustom ziptie jobie. You don't have the ice to worry about so just do it up, souther style...

Get a boat?
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Getting one. Been looking at this one and another just like it, but I don't think its quite right for what we want.

http://cookeville.craigslist.org/boa/4561111631.html
Old 07-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thing is sweet! Get it.
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Too big for alot of the little streams and creeks I want to fish. Of course it is perfect for lakes and big rivers like the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, but I want something that's one-size-fits-all.

15 ft flat bottom Jon... Low water profile, and will seat 3 comfortably with gear and sh**.

Besides, I don't have $1250 right now. If I did, I probably couldn't resist the temptation to get this one and then have a little beater boat for the small rivers.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Used my vex while vertically jigging in my pontoon. Just find a place to secure the transducer so you don't damage it and you're golden.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in