Lake McConaughy Tips/Tricks/Hints/Cheat Codes - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake McConaughy Tips/Tricks/Hints/Cheat Codes

Well............... Gunna hit Big Mac this weekend unless there is a drastic change in weather.

Planning on leaving town on Saturday(8/9/14) around 6pm... Hopefully get to Big Mac by 10 or so and take a nap until midnigh(Dont want to buy a day license for Saturday) Launch @ Midnight and fish all night.... Nap a bit during the day as well as fish a little during the day. But hit it hard again on Sunday night..... Fish a couple hours on Monday morning and then head back to Colorado.

Couple questions.... I know I can prob. find the info online or by calling but I figured i would ask on here because I know that some of you guys go there frequently!!

Boat inspection/launching time: From what i can find online you do not have to get inspected and can lauch 24x7??

Camping: There are power spots available @ Mac and Ogallala... From the pictures it looks like the Ogallala has better trees? Since we are planning on trying to sleep during the day some shade would be great!!

Fishing: We will be targetting a range of species(Wiper, Walleye, SM Bass, Pike(maybe), Whate Bass(maybe), Cats(maybe))... Any tips tricks, hints, cheat codes, etc Obviously PM's are encouraged

I have never been to Big Mac so any tips tricks hints gen info etc etc would be greatly appreciated!! Anything I should know about the drive??

Thanks in advance,
Ricky
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think my PM's might be broken... For some reason I am not receiving any LOL I would have expected to have a full inbox full of information by now
Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

They have some "walk up" "first come first serve" sites down below at lake Og.....but arriving on Saturday will probably mean you are screwed on finding an open spot. Lake Ogallala has some nice developed sites camping with shade. The ramps are open 24/7 and left to your own inspection. I was there in mid june and water was up high enough to use the ramp on either side of the dam. I think the one on the south side is easier to use.......heard of some guys getting stuck in the sand a few times on the norf side ramp. Fish are plentiful and dumb there, you should do well, Ricky. make sure you check the regs, they love busting greenies for breaking the law.
golden rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

There are some horror stories of camping on Big Mac and trying to sleep through the hot ass day and sand storms......life might suck on Saturday but the fishing will be worth it.

Sorry , felt I you should know the potential misery.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Really big trout in Ogallala. Big cats too.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden rod View Post
They have some "walk up" "first come first serve" sites down below at lake Og.....but arriving on Saturday will probably mean you are screwed on finding an open spot. Lake Ogallala has some nice developed sites camping with shade. The ramps are open 24/7 and left to your own inspection. I was there in mid june and water was up high enough to use the ramp on either side of the dam. I think the one on the south side is easier to use.......heard of some guys getting stuck in the sand a few times on the norf side ramp. Fish are plentiful and dumb there, you should do well, Ricky. make sure you check the regs, they love busting greenies for breaking the law.
We need a site that has power hook ups... You are right about them being booked for saturday night but there are plenty available for Sunday night.. We can check in @ 4pm on Sunday and hope the betteries charge enough before we head out on sunday night!(I will try to conserve battery if possible on Saturday night)

I have checked the regs.. but dont plan on keeping any fish so i dont think there is much i need to worry about(Size limits etc.)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
Really big trout in Ogallala. Big cats too.
Thanks for the info hobie!! I may try Ogallala during the day if I am not able to sleep!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden rod View Post
There are some horror stories of camping on Big Mac and trying to sleep through the hot ass day and sand storms......life might suck on Saturday but the fishing will be worth it.

Sorry , felt I you should know the potential misery.
I am gettgin a power spot and I will be bringing at least a fan.. if not a small portable swamp cooler
Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dude.....keep all the legal fish you can ( and of course not too big cause they taste like chit). Have a fish fry......Big Mac and Lake Og has some of the tastiest fish I have ever had. The cats from there might be my favorite. MMMMMMm gatos.

Nice, glad you found a spot with power. Lake Og area is nice, peaceful and cool with all the trees, you should be straight. Stab some fish!

Last edited by golden rod; 08-05-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

There ain't no fish at Mac! Go to Swanson instead. Several record wipers are caught there every year! Looks like you already got some good tips. GL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in