Electronics with GPS - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Electronics with GPS

The budget is beginning to loosen up a little around here and a boat is in my near future. Looking at many of the newer generation fish finders and WOW... Tons of pretty incredible features.

The one that looks like it will fit the budget is the Lowrance HDS 5 (Gen 2). Found a few used ones for around 400-450. Anyone have one of these? Like it? Worth the money? Recommend?

I'll be using my current Lowrance as my real-time grapher, but would LOVE to have that navigation system and plotter on the HDS... Would be pretty wicked with all the big waters around here.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opry99er View Post
The budget is beginning to loosen up a little around here and a boat is in my near future. Looking at many of the newer generation fish finders and WOW... Tons of pretty incredible features.

The one that looks like it will fit the budget is the Lowrance HDS 5 (Gen 2). Found a few used ones for around 400-450. Anyone have one of these? Like it? Worth the money? Recommend?

I'll be using my current Lowrance as my real-time grapher, but would LOVE to have that navigation system and plotter on the HDS... Would be pretty wicked with all the big waters around here.
I have the HDS-5 Gen 1 unit and i love it!! The GPS and Sonar combo is awesome...

Not that you care but they make an Ice Pak so you can use it through the ice as well (Or a personal pontoon boat etc)
Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you want the sidescan feature? If not, you would probably be better served with the Elite series because that's a cheaper unit. If you want the sidescan/downscan with the HDS5, you'll have to shell out more dollars for the transducer, unless the used prices you quoted include the LSS transducer for sidescan/downscan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
P I K E

or you could just make an offer on this unit, has everything you will ever need! Bet right now $2500.00 offer would sound good and I'll even bring it out to ya!!!

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...-9-9-merc.html
Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

LOL Tony!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am a Lowrance fan...I have a 3 year old model M68c with GPS...and a Flasher screen for Ice fishing (to which the ice transponder just arrived yesterday)....

Resolution is great, temp accurate, structure definition is excellent....I used the flasher screen last time out and it seemed to work well although I need a lot more stick time to become proficient in reading it....

The GPS function is real accurate, I originally used it on the Pacific in SoCal and would put me on the any Buoy I selected with 25ft, a real life savior in fog. I use it now to mark structure for ice season as this will be my first year on the hard water in Colorado...

The sidescan feature and plotter is a great feature...does draw more power thou if u r strictly running off a battery....

I would get the most advanced feature rich unit I could afford....never in my life did I think I would be using the Flasher screen 3 years ago for ice fishing....and now I am buying a Shanty!...

Let us know which one u pick I would be curious to get your impressions once u have it in play...
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also have an HDS 5 gen 1 which I use for BOTH My boat and Ice fishing... Once you use GPS to mark Your "hot spots" You'll be lost without it....
I recommend LOWRANCE very highly now that They have worked the bugs out of Thier transducers...
Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks fellas. Seems like the 5 is within the budget... But when you jump to the larger screens like the 7-9-10-12 units the price doubles a couple times.

The fellas on the TN forum who have HDS units all tell me to save up and get the larger screen unit. 5" does seem a bit small if you're splitting the screen in 3 or even 4 to utilize all the features, but its bigger than my x67c which works in split screen mode just fine while cruising on a Jon boat.

I'll have to shop carefully and spend wisely. I don't want to get something I'll be unhappy with. The HDS 12 "Touch" is like the Mercedes... I can afford a used Honda. LOL!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Tony was joking around with ya, but I'd wait and see what you can find on the used boat you'll be purchasing. Might already have whatever you need.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

True. I'm looking at a boat right now. Guy from the forum is selling it.

17' Aluminum, 40 HP Johnson, newly tuned up, trailer, 2 live wells, 2 main seats, two deck seats, a foot-controlled bow mounted trolling motor, and he said he would throw in a skimmer transducer for my Lowrance ice unit. No electronics, but a good solid boat. $900.

I'm inclined to take the deal. The seller is a very active contributor, solid guy... Upgraded to a bigger boat last year.

Seems like a good deal to me. It's not a pretty boat... but it looks to be a work horse. What you think?

Last edited by Opry99er; 10-23-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Opry99er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in