Some Lunkers from my home water... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some Lunkers from my home water...

Yeah, cars.... lots of cars.....

I grew up near this river. Good to remember one of the reasons I left.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...?event=event25
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

My father grew up in lowell, MA and i rememeber hearing all the countless stories from my grandpa about the neighborhood cats and dogs that would get cornered in his backyard, stuffed in a bag, and thrown into the merrimack river
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz View Post
Yeah, cars.... lots of cars.....

I grew up near this river. Good to remember one of the reasons I left.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...?event=event25
Good on them for cleaning it up. What a mess. The river is really that murky? Pollution or turbidity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobys View Post
My father grew up in lowell, MA and i rememeber hearing all the countless stories from my grandpa about the neighborhood cats and dogs that would get cornered in his backyard, stuffed in a bag, and thrown into the merrimack river
What's that saying, fruit doesn't fall far from the tree?
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrm66 View Post
What's that saying, fruit doesn't fall far from the tree?
Actually no. I love animals. Im in vet tech school now and plan to work at a sanctuary afterwards. I was just making a statement connecting the Merrimack river and the stories my grandpa use to tell me involving the river
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

The water is that color mostly due to Tannins in the water. Much of the water that enters the river flows thru hardwood forests with lots of leaf litter and thru peaty bogs. But the river does have a big history of pollution. It was at the center of the textile industry in the NE. Lots of water powered mills along it and after dying the fabric they would dump it straight into the river so the rivers color would change frequently.... I have heard stories that before the clean water act you could almost walk across it on all the crap that was in the river. It has been used as a dump since we first started settling this country. It is a big river, about 4x the volume of water in the merrimack at lowell than the colorado in glenwood. But much wider and deeper and it has a much lower gradient and current speed. A great place to disappear any problem you might have. Cats are not the only things that get thrown in bags with rocks and dumped in the river around there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in