Bought a raft - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bought a raft

Boy wanted a raft for Christmas, so I bought the best one I could afford.

It's the INTEX Seahawk 4. I wanted to get the Sevylor Fish Hunter but was a little more money than I had and it didn't come with oars.

The Intex Seahawk 4 is made of the same 30 gauge PVC vinyl that the Fish Hunter is made of and is also convertible to an electric rig with the inexpensive motor mount (not getting that yet, but soon)

Many modifications can be made to it, including a hard floor, similar to fordo's Fish Hunter Laker boat.

I can get a cheap Minn Kota trolling motor at Wal Mart for under a hundred bucks and a decent 12V marine battery for about the same. The trolling motor and battery can be swapped out from the boat I'm buying in February, so I won't have to spend anything extra.

This raft comes with plenty of room and two oars, though they may be cheap and a bit short.... This will get us on the water and away from the shore for some good fishing opportunities. With my Lowrance fish finder and this new-found mobility, I'm hoping we can hit up some of these small lakes up here on the plateau and get into the perch and smallies that live up here. It'll be about worthless on the Tennessee River and any big reservoirs (unless the wind is light) but that stuff can wait a few months.

Paid $100 for the raft and oars, comes with a stupid hand pump which sucks and will be replaced with a 12v electric pump from Wal Mart before we hit the water for the first time.

Wish us luck.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cool purchase buck should have fun with that, I have a raft I purchased years ago but really haven't used it much. I made plywood cutouts for the bottom and what not but fishing out of a raft is just a pain in the ass. Seems like a lot more room until you get two people sitting in it with a cooler!! Definitely will be cool for you guys on some of those ponds out there though, a big cat would haul you around!
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

The big cats don't live up here for some reason. We'll have to go down to the valley for those... But we'll be raft-floating the Caney for trout FOR SURE!!! Some 10 lb browns in there...

Old 12-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have fun! Is this a Christmas present?
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is. He wanted a boat for Christmas and this is all we had the $$ for. Here in a couple months we will be getting a big 17' boat, but since we've been having 50+ days and nights hovering around 32, waters are rockin on white bass, crappie, walleye, and yellow perch. This will get us out to em.

He will be happy... There are plenty of small waters around here to fish and this will get us out where we can use our Lowrance.

Once we get the motor mount and trolling motor, we will have to put a Hull ID number on the raft... That'll be a fun project for us in the Spring.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

sweet!
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrm66 View Post
sweet!
x2
Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Fordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

nice man.
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thx fellas. It's here and we are doing the best we can to keep it concealed from the boy til Christmas. . Right now I have it at the foot of my bed with a blanket over it and magazines on top of that. He hasn't seen or noticed yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in